How do you track an automated entry to see where it came from

Desire
Desire ✭✭✭
edited 03/07/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I have an automation set up in my Primary Sheet that lets me know when an intake has been approved in my Project Intake sheet and on the Project Intake sheet I have a formula that inserts data in the Primary Sheet when it's been approved.

The question I have is, I received a notification that a new row has been added to my Primary Sheet, which means that a new project has been approved, but when I look at the Intake sheet where the approval happens this specific ID is not there. How do I check to see where this information came from? I can only see who set up the automation, but it doesn't show me from which sheet the data is coming from.

Thanks

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The automation can only trigger from rows that are on the same sheet. If the automation came from the primary sheet, then you would need to check the primary sheet (not the intake sheet) for whatever triggered the alert.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Desire
    Desire ✭✭✭

I know the automation is in the Primary sheet, where the new row was inserted, that is correct. What I'm battling to find is where the data is coming from. So there is a from that needs to be completed and that form is linked to the Intake form, but the information that should be coming from the intake form is not there, we cannot track were it is coming from.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you checked cell history in one of the cells on the new row or the activity log?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Were you able to figure out where the data is coming from ? Am having a similar problem I checked the history and each cells but can't find the source which the sheet is receiving the data from the page.

• Hi @Francisco

I don't believe there's an automatic way to see the path of a row if it was moved or copied from a different sheet; you'll see who entered the row in the Activity Log (if you're on a Business or Enterprise plan) but not where it came from.

You could add a hidden column on all your sheets copying content over that has the sheet name in each cell, so when it copies that appears in the destination sheet.

Please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Francisco
    Francisco ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P. , I think you meant to reply to @Francisco R.

Best,

Pancho