Fillable PDF boxes are removed when I replace PDF

Jeremy Oesch
Jeremy Oesch ✭✭
edited 03/08/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

Its not that big of an issue but it is very annoying and time consuming. I have a fillable PDF and had all the boxes on the side I dragged and dropped into the PDF and saved it. It works just fine but I had to make some changes and when I went to the same mapping and went to the settings to replace the PDF half of the boxes were removed and I had to re drag and drop them in. Is there a reason why this is happening??

I also have multiple mappings and some of them don't do that but then my other ones will basically removed almost every box and it just time consuming and annoying to have to re do it every time. (I make changes very often)

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jeremy Oesch

When you replace a PDF with a new file, this is read as a completely fresh new file that will need to have its mapping re-done. However! There is an exception to this. Auto-mapping can occur (where the fields already connected) when the Smartsheet field (Column Name) matches your PDF field name exactly and those two fields were matched together in the previous file. This enables Smartsheet to link them together again upon the next upload. Does that make sense?

If you name all your fields the same across items (in Smartsheet and in the fillable PDF), then create your first mapping, matching those names, when you replace the PDF it should then retail all the mappings since the names are the same.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jeremy Oesch

When you replace a PDF with a new file, this is read as a completely fresh new file that will need to have its mapping re-done. However! There is an exception to this. Auto-mapping can occur (where the fields already connected) when the Smartsheet field (Column Name) matches your PDF field name exactly and those two fields were matched together in the previous file. This enables Smartsheet to link them together again upon the next upload. Does that make sense?

If you name all your fields the same across items (in Smartsheet and in the fillable PDF), then create your first mapping, matching those names, when you replace the PDF it should then retail all the mappings since the names are the same.

Cheers,

Genevieve