Display most recent comment of Child Rows in parent row.

Hello,

I'm looking for assistance in creating a formula that could be applied to a whole column that would display the most recent comment of a child row in the parent row. This would help to see the most recent update to a project at a glance in reports. After the screenshot, I made another column to collect the data, but I need some assistance setting up the formula.

Answers

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭

The way I would go about doing it is to add a Comment Date column and then create an automation that records the date when a comment is made.

In the cells of the parent rows of the Comment Date add =MAX(CHILDREN()) which will pull up the latest date a comment was made in the children rows.

In the cells of the parent rows of the Latest Comment add =JOIN(COLLECT(CHILDREN(), CHILDREN([Comment Date]@row), [Comment Date]@row), " _ ") which will look for any comments that matches that date and join them together. This is to avoid the issue of multiple comments happening in one day and not seeing them all.

There is probably a more complex way to create column formulas but I would only go down that road if you have a ton of data and picking out all the parent rows is a pain.

• Lorraine Stevens
    Lorraine Stevens ✭✭✭✭

@Devin Lee - Hello there! I came across your post and tried it out. Unfortunately, the formula in the parent cell of the 'Latest Comment' worked for only a second, then became blank. The actual comment window for the parent row is blank so I can see why it reverted to the actual latest comment for that row. Have you tried this with success? I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!