Can you fix an incorrect argument set if you've made a change to your source sheet?

Options

=COUNTIFS({Month}, 1, {Year}, Year#, {Responsible Party}, "Warehouse") + COUNTIFS({Month_}, 1, {Year_}, Year#, {Responsible_}, "Warehouse")

I've been using this formula for over a year and its on a kpi tracker that my company uses. I recently added 2 rows to the source document but I didnt think they don't impact this formula or rows of this fromula at all but now I'm getting incorrect argument set's on all of my kpi's. Any help would be appreciated. The other weird thing is that i have a dash for 2022 that still currently is working as far as no bad data set but i have a bunch of 0's where there used to be information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Chris

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Christopher Winter

Can you provide some idea of what kind of change was made, how that new data may differ from the existing data, column types for the ranges referenced in your formula, etc.?

Screenshots would also help.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Christopher Winter
    Options

Hi Jeff, I added a completed year to the sheet that wasn't on the source sheet previously. I updated it since to reference another column and the item i was looking at is calculating but now the others aren't.

=COUNTIFS({Month}, 1, {Year}, Year#, {Responsible Party}, "Warehouse") + COUNTIFS({Month_}, 1, {Year_}, Year#, {Responsible_}, "Warehouse")

I'm wondering if its because of the date. I'll take screen shots but i'm not sure what of as the issue has changed a bit.

Thank you

Chris

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Christopher Winter

Yeah, going to need screenshots, because

I added a completed year to the sheet that wasn't on the source sheet previously. I updated it since to reference another column and the item i was looking at is calculating but now the others aren't.

doesn't really tell me anything I can use. I don't know what a completed year is, nor what was updated to reference another column.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Christopher Winter
    Options

The first two are from a sheet - issue tracking and the second two are from a different sheet - issue tracking complete. I need to calculate how many issue's were entered per month/year that the responsible party is the warehouse. I have to do the same for the different types of issues we have such as below. It adds the issue from the open board and complete board.

All of the formulas moved to incorrect argument set so i believe its something i did but I dont understand how.

=COUNTIFS({Month}, 1, {Year}, Year#, {Issue Type}, "Damages", {Responsible Party}, "Warehouse") + COUNTIFS({Month_}, 1, {Year_}, Year#, {Issue Type_}, "Damages", {Responsible_}, "Warehouse")

I'm sorry if this isnt making sense but i appreciate your time looking.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Christopher Winter

I noticed you are using a summary field, Year#, as your year criteria in the formula. So if you added a completed year to the source sheet, so that now the source sheet has 2022 and 2023 in it, is it possible that the Year# summary field is no longer working? If there's an error the summary field, that would screw everything up and could easily cause the incorrect argument set issue.

Incorrect Argument Set could also be caused by using ranges with different sizes. If {Month}, {Year}, and {Issue Type} aren't all referencing the same set of rows, that would throw this error.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

• Christopher Winter
    Options

I checked the summary year and all looks well, i dont see any issues.

For incorrect Argument set, would the range difference be a different range of columns or formating? The two input sheets have always had different row/column counts due to their nature.

I do appreciate the help, you're putting out some great info, I think I'm just rusty or missing something but i'll try again.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Christopher Winter

As long as the ranges in yellow are the same size as each each other, and the red ranges are the same size as each other, you should be fine. Each COUNTIFS here is its own formula, so as long as range sizes match within a formula, you're good. Normally when I work with ranges, I make sure that I can use the entire column in the source sheet as a range (so no unrelated extra data in any row for that column) and when creating the reference, I select the column header so that it takes the whole column as the range. If all ranges in a COUNTIFS are for a whole column in the same sheet, you won't get the incorrect argument set error.

If you just use one of the COUNTIFS, does it work? If this

=COUNTIFS({Month}, 1, {Year}, Year#, {Issue Type}, "Damages", {Responsible Party}, "Warehouse")

works by itself, then you know the issue is with the other one - Unless using the COUNTIFS by itself also works!

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!