Update Row cross-sheet Examples?

Options

I am new to Smartsheets so I'm looking for a bit of help...

What I am trying to do:

I want to use a form to subtract/update the inventory on my Smartsheet. I know a form cannot do that directly. I have seen a lot of Q&A regarding updating rows from sheet to sheet and the answer is always to use VLOOKUP or INDEX/Match. But with no examples that I have found so far. So here is what I have:

I have a parts inventory sheet with a unique identifier for each row and a column "Qty on Hand"

I have a blank "inventory update sheet" with a "Qty Removed" column

And I have a form to be used to populate the inventory update sheet for the parts being removed from the inventory. The Unique ID for the part is a required field.

Can someone please show me an example of how this is done? Or point me to a good example?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Dan West_TX

I'd be happy to help!

You'll want one column that identifies the original quantity on hand, which I am assuming is your "Parts Inventory Sheet" with the column "Qty on Hand".

Then you can have a second column that is "Remaining Qty" where you put your cross-sheet formula. In this instance, I would use a SUMIFS statement to SUM together all the Qty that's being recorded in your Inventory Update sheet, like so:

=SUMIFS({QTY Column Update Sheet}, {Unique Identifier Update Sheet}, [Unique Identifier]@row)

Then you can subtract this SUM from the original "Qty on Hand", like so:

=[Qty on Hand]@row - SUMIFS({QTY Column Update Sheet}, {Unique Identifier Update Sheet}, [Unique Identifier]@row)

Let me know if this is what you were looking for!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Dan West_TX

I'd be happy to help!

You'll want one column that identifies the original quantity on hand, which I am assuming is your "Parts Inventory Sheet" with the column "Qty on Hand".

Then you can have a second column that is "Remaining Qty" where you put your cross-sheet formula. In this instance, I would use a SUMIFS statement to SUM together all the Qty that's being recorded in your Inventory Update sheet, like so:

=SUMIFS({QTY Column Update Sheet}, {Unique Identifier Update Sheet}, [Unique Identifier]@row)

Then you can subtract this SUM from the original "Qty on Hand", like so:

=[Qty on Hand]@row - SUMIFS({QTY Column Update Sheet}, {Unique Identifier Update Sheet}, [Unique Identifier]@row)

Let me know if this is what you were looking for!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!