Card view contacts uncategorized

Options
ARE_SMC
ARE_SMC ✭✭
edited 03/21/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I have somehow managed to mess up my card view by contacts by messing with the restrict to values list. Most of my contacts are no longer categorized. I don't understand how these contacts work when creating list values. I started over with a contacts2 with restricted values but I only have one value now.

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @ARE_SMC

The Card View Lanes are created by the values set in the Column Properties, the list that's here:

You can find this by double-clicking on the column name in Grid View.

If you have contacts listed in the cells of the column but not in the column properties, they will appear as "uncategorized". If you add them into the properties, that Lane will automatically appear in Card View with the correct rows/cards associated with that person!

Let me know if that helped 🙂

Cheers,

Genevieve

• ARE_SMC
    ARE_SMC ✭✭
    Options

Well I am not sure. I think I ended up figuring out a way to categorize them from the uncategorized area. Then they were not sorting by last name - they did part way and then stopped. So I just manually moved the ones out of order into alpha order and the grid view still seemed fine. So I don't really know what I am doing. But it is in the order I need to make sense to viewers. Is there a way for reports to default to the card view in a report? I sent out a report for people to check out but it showed in grid view which is far more confusing than the card view.

Our administrator retired so I am flying by the seat of my pants here.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @ARE_SMC

Reports will open up in the last View that the specific user had set, the last time they viewed the Report. This means that for the first time they access the Shared link, it will default to Gantt, then if they change it to Card View for their own personal view, it will stay in Card view moving forward.

That said! You can append data on to the end of the sharing URL to ensure that the first time they click the link it opens in Card View:

?view=card

so:

https://app.smartsheet.com/reports/xxxxx?view=card

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Latreva Washington
    edited 07/17/23
    Options

@Genevieve P. I am not sure I am understanding. Here is what is in the column in GRID VIEW.

At the bottom I added TEMIQUE. However when I go to EDIT COLUMN PROPERTIES, her name does not appear as a value as the others are showing.

Q: Should this be populating in the values automatically or do I need to add her (and others that may be added later) manually now? If so, why?

In addition, when I go to card view, even though JOHN is showing as a value in GRID view, there is no lane for JOHN nor TEMIQUE populated in CARD VIEW.

It automatically pulled in the first five from the GRID VIEW and placed them in lanes, but nothing after those.

My questions include -

Q: Why is this happening? What broke?

Q: Am I supposed to enter these manually or is Smartsheet supposed to be pulling them into lanes automatically?

Q: If they should be pulling them in, is there a feature or capability that I need to enable to get it to pull the ASSIGNED TO information into the card view or is this a matter of user error?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Latreva Washington

Instead of adding "Temique" into the cell in the sheet, you'd want to manually add "Temique" to the column list, here:

This would be a manual action, but once there's a value in the column that will automatically become a Lane in Card View. Then you can assign rows to that person or move cards to that lane and the cell/card will automatically populate with that selection.

Here's more information: Work with card view lanes

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Latreva Washington
    edited 07/14/23
    Options

@Genevieve P.,

Thank you for your response. Ok, got. it. It seemed like I would need to add them manually, but I just wasn't sure and couldn't make sense of why.

So do you know why I didn't have to manually add the others? (Latreva, Joyce, Heather, etc) and why they automatically populated in the list? That is the most maddening right now, that it was auto for some, and manual for others. I am creating a template that others will be using as well, so I want to be able to provide them with this information as part of using the sheet.

Also, do you know why JOHN IS appearing in the column list but there is no lane generated for him?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

@Latreva Washington

When you first change a sheet from being in Grid View to Card View, it will do an initial automatic scan to see what lanes might be needed. You should have seen a pop-up like this, identifying that it took some of the values in the cells and put them in your Column List as a one-off import:

However if you add NEW names to the cells in the sheet after that import, you'll need to either manually add them as a lane using the + Add Lane link, the Column list (as in our pictures above), or by clicking the Lane menu and selecting Edit Lanes:

If you're creating a Template from this sheet, as long as you've set up the Card Lanes ahead of time, these will be set when someone creates a sheet from your Template in the future. Then any new contacts would need to be added in manually.

For John, is it possible that there's a different email or contact selected in the cell versus what's displayed in the Column list? I would personally remove him from the Column and then add him as a lane directly in the Card View to see if that connects the right contact to the lane.

Let me know if that helped!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Latreva Washington
    Options

@Genevieve P. YES! YES! It absolutely helped and I understand. Thank you SOOO much for all of your help!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Latreva Washington

I'm glad that helped! 🙂 Have a great week.

• Christina Bayma
    Options

I followed this entire thread but it didn't help me at all. When I go to Card View I don't have a Lane option for "Assigned To". I tried adding three of the contacts from the Contact List to the column properties as you showed above, but it didn't activate the Lane. I tried removing my name in the Assigned To contact list, then type my name in manually, but it didn't nothing. How do I add the Assigned To column as a Lane with an existing Sheet and/or the individuals who are listed in the Assigned To column to have separate Lanes as Latreva requested above? I'd like to be able to see a Lane for each of the people who have tasks assigned to them.

• Christina Bayma
    Options

Ok, I figured it out, but it's not ideal. What wasn't clear until further reading was that the Assigned To column must be limited to one contact per cell. Considering that we work very collaboratively this option is not ideal for us. When using other software that offers Card Views we are able to assign multiple people to work as a team on a task then sort or filter by person so that either the person who wants to view their own cards or the Manager who wants to view tasks per person can see the cards assigned to each person even if a card is assigned to multiple people. This really helps to understand workload and status of tasks.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Christina Bayma

You're correct: multi-select dropdown lists or contact lists cannot be used as Lanes, since Card View Lanes in Smartsheet require one selection to be associated per-card.

In your instance, I would suggest setting up a "Current User" filter in the Grid View of your sheet to quickly narrow down tasks based on who's looking at the sheet.

Please feel free to submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve