Automation Question

Hello,

I'm trying to create an automation from a form that was created. I created a form so employees could request time off. When creating the automation for the manager to be alerted and to approve the request...I'm not sure how to include the requestor email to be notified when the manager approves it. How would I include the requestor email? Can someone please help? Thanks!

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Nkeiruka. Aguocha Create a Contact List column for "Requestor", then ask for the employee to select their name in that field. Then the Requestor column will show up in the workflow as an available destination for the approval alert.

If you don't want them to use a dropdown list on the form, there's another way. You still need a Contact List column for "Requestor", but also create a Text/Number column for "Requestor Email" and add that to the form for the user to fill in. In the Requestor contact list column, create a column formula:

=[Requestor Email]@row

This will pull the user-entered email into the contact list column and make it a valid contact to use for the approval alert.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• If you look at the pic, it only gives the option to send to the Approval Manager. I want an email to be sent to the requestor email when the manager approves or declines and not to the approving manager.

Thanks!

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Nkeiruka. Aguocha Create a Contact List column for "Requestor", then ask for the employee to select their name in that field. Then the Requestor column will show up in the workflow as an available destination for the approval alert.

If you don't want them to use a dropdown list on the form, there's another way. You still need a Contact List column for "Requestor", but also create a Text/Number column for "Requestor Email" and add that to the form for the user to fill in. In the Requestor contact list column, create a column formula:

=[Requestor Email]@row

This will pull the user-entered email into the contact list column and make it a valid contact to use for the approval alert.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Hi @Jeff Reisman ,

Thanks so much for your help, that totally worked!!