Has anybody created dependent dropdowns in smartsheet?

Options

I'm looking to create a form that contains a few different layers of dependent drop down lists. I also want to grab the information on this form to generate a second document. Does anybody have any experience with this?

TIA!

Answers

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@thebradlywalker

In forms you can apply LOGIC to responses and then show additional columns of data based on the response that is generated.

Example if question 1 was Animal Vegetable or Mineral, you would be able to select that if a person answers animal, it would show a form field that would list animal types.

Each of these items would need to be defined columns. There is not currently a logic set where answering question 1 would allow you to only see a subset of information in a later column.

Let me know if you need any additional help or have more questions!

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2481701-use-conditional-logic-to-streamline-form-submissions

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• thebradlywalker
    Options

Thanks a lot for the response, Colleen. I've been trying to find a way to utilize smartsheet for this little project since I already use it, but I just don't think the features I need are in smartsheet.

Thanks again for your help!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @thebradlywalker

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Colleen's excellent advice/answer.

• Another option could be to use multiple so-called helper columns combined with conditional formatting and messaging guiding the user through the different options.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.