Problem with nested IF/CONTAINS for Multi-Select Column and Zeros

Options
JCardinal
JCardinal ✭✭✭✭
edited 03/31/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all,

How do I get rid of the zeros in this formula? (And why does it seem to work fine for Monday and Tuesday only selections?!!?)

Below is the text of the formula and it is citing a multi-select column. Class Days Short is a text/number column.

=IF(CONTAINS("Monday", [Class Days]@row), "M, ") + IF(CONTAINS("Tuesday", [Class Days]@row), "T, ") + IF(CONTAINS("Wednesday", [Class Days]@row), "W, ") + IF(CONTAINS("Thursday", [Class Days]@row), "R, ") + IF(CONTAINS("Friday", [Class Days]@row), "F ")

When I try to wrap the entire thing in an IF formula, all results go away:

=IF(IF(CONTAINS("Monday", [Class Days]@row), "M, ") + IF(CONTAINS("Tuesday", [Class Days]@row), "T, ") + IF(CONTAINS("Wednesday", [Class Days]@row), "W, ") + IF(CONTAINS("Thursday", [Class Days]@row), "R, ") + IF(CONTAINS("Friday", [Class Days]@row), "F ") = 0, "")

Thanks,

Joanna Cardinal (she, her, hers)

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @JCardinal

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

=IF(CONTAINS("Monday", [Class Days]@row), "M, ", "") + IF(CONTAINS("Tuesday", [Class Days]@row), "T, ", "") + IF(CONTAINS("Wednesday", [Class Days]@row), "W, ", "") + IF(CONTAINS("Thursday", [Class Days]@row), "R, ", "") + IF(CONTAINS("Friday", [Class Days]@row), "F ", "")

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!