Filtered Report (Current User) and Direct Access to Sheet

Hi all,

I know there are hundreds of different questions around user access, reports, sheets, etc... So I figured just ask this specific question, as I'm sure someone has already solved it.

I have a report filtered by current user with their own perspective. Shows data from a source sheet. Works well. Now, my question is, if I don't give view access to the source sheet, the user will not see anything. If I give view access to the source sheet, the user can technically go to the source sheet and view it directly. But the whole point of the report was to show only data they should see.

So, is there a way to share a source sheet with someone that has an applied filter that hides all rows except where this user is assigned? (Which is basically a report :))

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Zsolt

I hope you're well and safe!

The two options available, if they need to be able to edit the date, is:

• Premium App, Dynamic View
    • Premium App, WorkApps

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Zsolt
    Zsolt ✭✭✭
    edited 04/12/23

Hi Andrée,

I'm using WorkApps, which includes the report. My question is more of a security question. If I have to share the original source sheet data with a user, wouldn't that user be able to access the sheet directly if they knew the link for some reason (basically like an unlisted youtube video)? (To be clear, I don't want them to go the sheet.)

Zsolt

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Zsolt

If you're using WorkApps, you don't need to share the sheet.

Wouldn't that work? Or am I misunderstanding?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Zsolt
    Zsolt ✭✭✭

If that's the case I have to go back and check... I user shared their screen with me (WorkApps), they could see the report but not the data in it. I'll double check.