#BLOCKED

I have used the following formula in a few of my sheets, and it usually works. But sometimes I get a Blocked Error - can someone interpret the problem for me?

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Closed Date]@row)), "Closed", IF(AND([Due Date]@row < [Todays Date]#, NOT(ISBLANK([Due Date]@row))), "Overdue", "Open"))

Best Answers

• =Chris Palmer
    =Chris Palmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Karen Bruer,

#BLOCKED errors occur when your formula is looking at a cell/column with another formula or value it can't read. I would check each column your formula touches and make sure there isn't any data that is invalid. I've found them sometimes hiding near the bottom of my sheet, or in-between rows. You may stumble across #N/A, or #VALUE in your Closed Date, Due Date columns.

• Ron Rizzardi
    Ron Rizzardi ✭✭
    edited 06/04/24 Answer ✓

I had this in my WBS field. In my case a row near the bottom had an #UNPARSABLE error in a task name field. Row not needed, deleted row. Problem resolved.

WBS formulas never touched the Task Name field, but the rows that depended on WBS calculation were all empty. It's odd it affects all the rows before it too.

Answers

• Hi Karen, I'm having the same issue since today. I'm not sure what happened because everything was working before!

• =Chris Palmer
    =Chris Palmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Karen Bruer,

#BLOCKED errors occur when your formula is looking at a cell/column with another formula or value it can't read. I would check each column your formula touches and make sure there isn't any data that is invalid. I've found them sometimes hiding near the bottom of my sheet, or in-between rows. You may stumble across #N/A, or #VALUE in your Closed Date, Due Date columns.

• Ron Rizzardi
    Ron Rizzardi ✭✭
    edited 06/04/24 Answer ✓

I had this in my WBS field. In my case a row near the bottom had an #UNPARSABLE error in a task name field. Row not needed, deleted row. Problem resolved.

WBS formulas never touched the Task Name field, but the rows that depended on WBS calculation were all empty. It's odd it affects all the rows before it too.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!