WBS with a 3rd level and using letters

Options
Melissa Torrez
Melissa Torrez ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 04/24/23 in Formulas and Functions

I am trying to build upon @Toufong Vang genius approach pasted below, however I am trying to solve for a 3rd level and using a. b. c....

I would like to add to the formula to build this 3rd level of the WBS (pictured below):

I need the sub-steps to show the full ID, such as

WS1.1.3.a

WS1.1.3.b, etc.

I. Create an auto-number column and ensure that it contains only numbers. The autonumber is going to be used as a "serial" number for the row. This helps to determine which row(s) came before any row.

II. Create the following helper columns in the following order.

• Parent_Serial (finds the parent of a row if there is one and returns the parent's serial number)

=IF(PARENT(AutoNum@row) <> 0, PARENT(AutoNum@row), 0)

• Parents_Count (counts the number of parents that were created before the current one)

=IF([Parent_Serial]@row = 0, COUNTIFS([Parent_Serial]:[Parent_Serial], @cell = 0, AutoNum:AutoNum, @cell < AutoNum@row) + 1, "")

• Child_Count (counts the children that were created before the current one)

=IF([Parent_Serial]@row <> 0, COUNTIFS([Parent_Serial]:[Parent_Serial], @cell = [Parent_Serial]@row, AutoNum:AutoNum, @cell < AutoNum@row) + 1, "")

• ID_Parent (creates the ID if the current row is a parent)

=IF([Parent_Serial]@row = 0, "EHR" + [Parents_Count]@row, "")

• ID_Child (creates the ID if the current row is a child)

=IF([Parent_Serial]@row <> 0, INDEX([ID_Parent]:[ID_Parent], MATCH(PARENT(AutoNum@row), AutoNum:AutoNum, 0)) + "." + [Child_Count]@row, "")

• Parent_ID (returns the ID of the parent row for the current child row)

=INDEX([ID_Parent]:[ID_Parent], MATCH(PARENT(AutoNum@row), AutoNum:AutoNum, 0))

III. Create your ID column. (I'm assuming you want this to be the sheet's primary column)

• ID

=IF([ID_Parent]@row <> "", [ID_Parent]@row, [ID_Child]@row)

This approach assumes that:

• All new rows are parent rows. When a row is moved under a parent, the helper columns will change accordingly and the row's ID will also change. (see EHR1.1)
  • All child rows added to or moved into a parent row will be assigned the sequential child ID based on the order of its serial number. (see EHR4.2)

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!