How to Wrap Dropdown Text in Cells

Options
Gianni
Gianni ✭✭
edited 10/03/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi Smartsheets Community,

I am looking to wrap text within a cell that has dropdown options. Some of the options have a longer text... Example: "Successfully Contacted Landowner". Now, I don't want the column to be as wide as that text, I want to utilize the vertical space as much as possible. I want the text to wrap and return between long words so it fits as best as it can within the tall cell (wrap text). Though, when I use the wrap text button on this selected cell, it assumes the dropdown option text as a single string, and the text trails to the right beyond the width of the cell (truncating what I can see based on the width of the cell). Is there a workaround for this?

Answers

• Dakota Haeffner
    Dakota Haeffner ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You will have to make the column as wide as your widest word then click on the column header and then clikc the wrap text button. The way it works now is it needs a break in the string of text to know where to wrap it, otherwise it will hide it behind the right wall of the cell.

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly. If not, screenshots would help!

• Gianni
    Gianni ✭✭
    Options

@Dakota Haeffner

That was what I tried originally and no- that doesn't work. After I posted the thread on here, I ended up figuring out a workaround on my own. I discovered I was allowing multiple dropdown options per cell (can be changed in column properties). Toggling this on created a bubble around the text, and the wrap text function wrapped the bubbles around each other, instead of wrapping the text within the bubbles. The workaround was to remove the check that allows multiple options per cell.

However, in some cases we do want to have multiple options in that cell. I would like to keep this thread going to see if there are any other solutions, though I think for our application we can make this way work for now.

Thanks!

• Stephen_at_ODOC
    Options

I have the same concern. In a drop-down list where multiple items may be selected, each item on the list needs to be wrapped even when multiple items are selected. The inability to do so really makes the Reports look unprofessional.

• Pratik
    Pratik ✭✭✭
    Options

It worked for me by first selecting the column and then using this button. I wish the option showed up in Column properties or at least when you right click on the column name coz that's more intuitive.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To get it to wrap longer selections in a multi-select column, you will need to insert a text/number column and use a basic cell reference to pull in the data from the multi-select column then apply text wrap to this new text/number column.