How to sync all data entry to another sheet (quickly)?

Options

Hello,

I'm looking to have all information from one sheet populate another. Is there an easier way to do this than linking each cell individually?

Thank you!

Answers

• Deric
    Deric ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a way to do this. The complexity of the solution will depend on how your sheets are designed. Most solutions will use index and match to keep the sheets synced.

If you provide more information about what you are doing with your sheets, I might be able to provide more information.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/29/23
    Options

Hi @SNickNBCUniUSH

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SNickNBCUniUSH
    Options

@Deric I'm looking to do a column-for-column (and row-for row) match for 5 columns (entered on one sheet, and then sync to the other). Should be the same/identical information.

Thank you!

• Deric
    Deric ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SNickNBCUniUSH - If you have a limited number of rows, create a matching key id column on each sheet and enter a number for each row - this could be as simple as 1, 2, 3, ...500, etc. or ID-001, ID-002...

It doesn't matter what you use for the key id as long as they are all different and the id is on each sheet.

Then, create cross-sheet references and use index, match on the destination sheet to keep the columns synced with the source sheet. =index({Sheet1_SourceData}, Match([KeyID]@row, {Sheet1_KeyID}, 0))

If this solution doesn't work, there are others that are more complex.

1) create transfer sheet to capture the key id and then move the row to your destination sheet. Use index, match to sync the data.

2) create helper column with formula to indicate if the row isn't already on the other sheet. then use automation to move rows based on the helper column.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas of how to make this work. As far as I know, these are the easiest solutions.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!