May Question of the Month 💭 Join the conversation and receive a badge

Answers

• A long time ago I had a manager who advised me to pick my battles. I was younger and eager to get it all just right. She was right, of course. Had I tried to fight all the battles to get it just right, I'd have burned out quickly. She led by example and supported me. I've compared every manager since to her.

• svenu
    svenu ✭✭✭✭

Totally agree @Joe Goetschel. Managers shape our careers in many ways. Thanks for sharing!

Regards

Sowmya Venugopal

CI Analyst II, Niagara Bottling

• I would say my first manager in my first company has most impacted my career in terms of being a mentor. He was an amazing leader, and my coworkers and I responded really well to the way he ran the team. As I progressed in my own management career, I incorporated many of his leadership tactics, including the way he resolved conflicts, how he spoke to his team, and his high level of organization.

Lastly, the person whom I always recall is my current manager, Mrs. Angela. I excelled in many technologies, enjoyed doing many things, and found it easy to decide about my field. She guided me through the process, asking the right questions and helping me find the right answers within me. She is one of the best leaders and always creates a magical impact on her team.

“The two most important requirements for major success are: first, being in the right place at the right time, and second, doing something about it.” Ray Kroc

• Naeem Ejaz
    Naeem Ejaz ✭✭✭✭

Who has the biggest impact on my career? Honestly...probably my Wife.

Executive Manager PMO

• SYSPK
    SYSPK ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Myself 🤷‍♀️ I started off as an entry-level employee and carved out a path in a niche field and became a certified Smartsheet architect/admin. It's been a pleasure to see Smartsheet increase its features and grow with it.

• Honestly, the one person with the biggest impact on my career is... MYSELF! It is my responsibility to use the resources available to me and to take inspiration from the family, friends, and colleagues that surround me. It is also up to me to filter through these vast sources of knowledge, experience, and support to decide what is best for my career and personal growth. At the end of the day, nothing is going to happen and no progress will be made unless I take those first steps.

• Gina McK
    Gina McK ✭✭✭

Who had the biggest impact on my career? That is a complex question with many answers. First my parents, they always encouraged me to be myself and choose something I was passionate about as my career path. They provided me with the tools needed to succeed such as strong will, dedicated work ethic, & the ability to see the entire picture (not just the immediate glimpse). Second was the path presented to me during my high school and college years. I believe everything happens for a reason & as crazy of a history you may have it leads you exactly where you are meant to be and for me it was a perfectly suited career with non-traditional (wonderful) jobs. Lastly my husband and boys, allowing me to provide not just an income but an example to my children of what hard work, dedication and passion can present for your future happiness and growth.

• Aldrin Sarsaba
    Aldrin Sarsaba ✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/09/23

Who has had the biggest impact on your career and why?

First, My Grandmother and My Mother/Father, without them I am not here as well. They mold me as who I am today and who I can be tomorrow. They are the first who told me to try what you think is the best for you and encourage me step forward to whatever I wanted to be.

Lastly, my previous boss, he has given me advice and setting me goals to achieve for my personal growth and career development. Hes untiring effort and time on guiding me helps me a lot and motivate me to do what it takes to do to grow and be a model to my colleague.

• Aldrin Sarsaba
    Aldrin Sarsaba ✭✭✭✭

Who has had the biggest impact on your career and why?

First, My Grandmother and My Mother/Father, without them I am not here as well. They mold me as who I am today and who I can be tomorrow. They are the first who told me to try what you think is the best for you and encourage me step forward to whatever I wanted to be.

Lastly, my previous boss, he has given me advice and setting me goals to achieve for my personal growth and career development. Hes untiring effort and time on guiding me helps me a lot and motivate me to do what it takes to do to grow and be a model to my colleague.

• RebSchr
    RebSchr ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/09/23

I debated if I wanted to share those who impacted me professionally or personally – I decided to share the real reason I am where I am today:

The person that had the biggest impact on my career was my daughter. I was a working, in the middle of a divorce, single Mom with a 4-year-old at home when I became pregnant with her. It was at this point that I decided that I needed to provide a better future for BOTH of them. 

The job that I had was a good job, but there was nowhere to advance. It was then that I decided to go back to school. It was not an easy task to juggle single motherhood, a career and an education all at the same time, but I knew what the end goal was, a better future for my children. It took me longer than average to complete school, but I did it by the time my daughter was 4.

I had a lot of low points where I wanted to give up, but I remembered what my goal was, my kids and their future.

I am also thankful every day for everyone that helped me along the way, but she by far was the spark that I needed. My daughter is all grown up now and is an ICU Nurse. I tell her all the time how big of a role she played in my career, and in my life. 

• edapel
    edapel ✭✭✭✭

There have definitely been many people who have had influenced on my career one way or another. However, one person always stands out. The CIO at a past company took me under his wing and became a mentor of mine. He was someone who always helped me through issues and pushed me into many areas where I was uncomfortable, but with reason. This has helped me in many ways through my career and allowed me to grow from the experiences had.

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it💡Insightfulor❤️Awesome!

Hope you have a great day!!

Ed

• JCardinal
    JCardinal ✭✭✭✭

It'd have to be my mom. She ensured I got a formal education and shared her experience as one of the only women in her office to round out my informal education.

Joanna Cardinal (she, her, hers)

• I had a prior manager who was loud, brash, and very direct/no-nonsense, when I was fresh out of college and scared of the world and my place in it. I was a quiet, but hard worker who was trying to prove my worth by overworking myself at a low-wage position in an industry where I just happened into a job, but didn't really want a career. My main problem was that nothing was my passion, and I would get bored, so I would take more and more work from others even if it wasn't in my job description.

This manager figured that out (I didn't even realize it until they told me), saw my potential, and immediately decided to throw me into increasingly challenging and uncomfortable (for me) professional situations. I gained a lot of confidence, became more outspoken, and started becoming a voice in the organization's operations. I didn't realize until much later that this manager was strategically enabling my personal and professional growth, and set me up for a career in project management (I never do the same thing every day!). They saw that I wouldn't take the appropriate risks to get me to where I needed to be, and decided to invest in me to make it happen. It's been almost ten years, and I no longer report to/work with that person, but there is no way I'd be where I am now career-wise without their dedication.

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It can be incredibly challenging to determine who has had the greatest impact on my career, and instead of a single person, I would say that there have been a few that helped shape the person that I have become.

1. My mother - someone who also worked in a male dominated field, who was the primary breadwinner as well as the one that did homework with us at the table at night. She seemingly effortlessly balanced a demanding career with a do-it-all approach at home. She taught me not only how to re-grout a shower, but also to believe that I was capable of anything I could envision for myself.
    2. A former employee - not many people are going to say someone that was challenging / difficult to work with as their answer here, but she was it for me. Mary (name changed) was one of the most difficult people that I ever managed, and upon her leaving, in her exit interview she said many critical things about myself, my leadership style, and how I represented the company. This was incredibly hard to hear, and even though not all of the information she said was true (much of it was her being angry about being let go), it led me to re-evaluate what I bring to the table as a leader. I went on a multi-year journey to examine best practices, attending leadership workshops, became an avid reader of leadership books, and overhauled the manner in which I lead. When I tell people now that I was called a bad boss, they are astounded, but I would not have done all of that work without the pushback, and in retrospect that was one of the best things that ever happened in my career.
    3. My husband - it is incredibly empowering to have someone that is unequivocally in your corner. There to celebrate every success, even when small, and someone to remind me to put things down when I need a break.

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• My wife, mentors, and challenges have had a significant impact on my career. My wife supports me at home and with the children, for which I am immensely grateful. My mentors provide valuable advice based on their experience. Additionally, crises, low wages, and unemployment have motivated me to study and grow professionally. These factors have been key drivers in my career development. I am thankful for all of them

This discussion has been closed.