Don't want to show the DataMesh Lookup Value

Sara H
Sara H ✭✭✭✭
edited 05/02/23 in Formulas and Functions

Is there a way to use the DataMesh Lookup Value (in this case an employee ID #) to match rows but not actually INCLUDE the Lookup Value on the target sheet (or at lease make it not viewable)? I want to share information on the target sheet with groups of people that are not in our department without sharing the employee ID but the employee ID is really the best unique identifier. I can just hide the column of course but there is always the chance that someone with admin permissions would leave it unhidden.

This is actually a work around for what I REALLY want to do which is to put this in Dynamic View but the reason I can't is because there are checkboxes (for attendance to an event) that you can't simply quick click 30 people without clicking into each line item to check them off and then saving. So tedious.

So, I am back to the question above! Any input or advice would be fantastic.

Best Answer

• Danielle Wilson
    Danielle Wilson Employee
    Answer ✓

@Sara H As long as you don't have the Employee ID set as your primary column (because this won't work if you do) you could pull a report off the sheet that didn't include the Employee ID column and then put the report as a page in WorkApp and share out the WorkApp with folks? If you have the report as a page in the WorkApp, you don't need to also share them to the underlying sheet(s).

Danielle W.

Product Marketing

Smartsheet

Answers

• Danielle Wilson
    Danielle Wilson Employee
    Answer ✓

@Sara H As long as you don't have the Employee ID set as your primary column (because this won't work if you do) you could pull a report off the sheet that didn't include the Employee ID column and then put the report as a page in WorkApp and share out the WorkApp with folks? If you have the report as a page in the WorkApp, you don't need to also share them to the underlying sheet(s).

Danielle W.

Product Marketing

Smartsheet

• Sara H
    Sara H ✭✭✭✭

@Danielle Wilson Thank you! I did have it as my primary column and I literally already have a report and WorkApp set up so I think all I need to do is swap it (magically) from being the primary column. Good to know!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!