Smartsheets Forms - Auto compile

Hi I have created a Smartsheets participants list for an event,

Firstly, I made a registration form where people would add their personal details (name, surname, email) and add that info in the participant list.

Now I want to add more fields to the form so that I can ask the participants to select the different evening sessions they would like to attend at my event. Meaning that, on a row in the participants list I would have: name, surname, email, session 1, session 2, session 3....

My first idea was to use the registration form I had used previously, add the new sessions fields and hide the ones from the registration form.

However, how do I match the responses from the registration form, with the responses from the new form?

I mean, how do I assure that when I receive the sessions form and select the ones I'm interested in, that information goes into the same row where my name, surname and email appeared in the participant list (because I already filled in the registration form)?

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Conchimc

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using the Update Request feature instead?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå

I am currently trying that, however I am finding it a bit difficult to build the workflow.

Currently it looks like this:

When email - any value - send update request. And the text would be something like:

Dear {{Name and Surname}}, 

It is time to select your parallel sessions...blabla

For Day 1: please select only ONE of the following sessions:

{{Session 1}}, {{Session 2}}, {{Session 3}}, {{Session 4}}

For Day 2: please select only ONE of the following sessions:

{{Session 5}}, {{Session 6}}, {{Session 7}}, {{Session 8}}

Would this be correct?

I would then have another problem, I wanted to use the forms, so that I could deactivate one field when 25 people had selected it (because that will be the max number of attendees per session). If I use the Update Request feature, would that be possible?

Thanks a mill

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Conchimc

Happy to help!

Yes, you could either lock the column or/and add a message that it's full to each cell, so they would see the message when they open it.

Make sense?

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå

I'm afraid I haven't quite caught that last solution, would you mind explaining it a bit further?

Thank you so much!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Conchimc

You're more than welcome!

When the limit is reached (25 people), you could lock the column and also add a message to the cell informing the participants that the option is full. This could be automated with the help of helper columns that count the number of participants, and when the limit is reached, a Change cell Workflow would trigger and change the message. The only thing that has to be manual is locking the column.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Thank you @Andrée Starå makes sense, although it sounds a bit too high level for my Smartsheets knowledge.

So in the end, we have created a separate participant list & form to gather the programme information.

And now more questions have appeared.

As you can see in the picture, I have added to the document two rules:

1. A COUNTIF that shows me how many people have chosen each of the different sessions
    2. A conditional formatting so that whenever any of the COUNTIFs is higher than 14.

My question is: How do I delete the #unparseable from the rows, so that the number resulted from the COUNTIF only appear in the first row of each column?

Secondly, I would still need for the sessions on the form to be removed when the number of people that have selected it is greater than 25. My first option was to manually go into the form, and take the option out from the dropdown. But maybe there is another way?

Thank you so much for your support

Bests,