Controlling font size and multiple line fields in Document Creation via Workflows

Mike Ferringer
Mike Ferringer ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 05/12/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I am populating an intake sheet through Forms and then taking this intake sheet information to create a document through a Workflow as part of customer survey process.

One of the form questions requires up to 500 characters. I select Multi-line text box in the Form "Display As" field but I don't get multiple lines on the created document. Instead, it reduces the font size to fit on a single line making it unreadable in the created document. Is there something I need to do differently with either the intake form or the fillable pdf to avoid this problem?

Answers

• Ward.Hively
    Ward.Hively ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mike,

Document builder can be incredibly touchy so I can relate to your frustrations. Hopefully I can help!

After thinking this through for a while, I have a recommendation. Try to create a single text formula string if possible. If not possible, it’s time to get creative! Add all of your small fields (dates, drop downs, etc…) to the top of the pdf. Create a very large field at the bottom of the document with enough room to have 500 characters. This can be done be doing a few tests in your PDF editor. Putting the field at the bottom of the document allows you to imitate the most natural feel to the document.

I hope this helps! I will keep an eye out for your reply and try to help in the best way I can.

Ward Hively

Skyway Consulting Co.

Ward Hively

President and Chief Consultant

🌉Skyway Consulting Co.🌉

Need Smartsheet Help? Schedule a complementary consultation click SCHEDULE

Does your Dashboard need a map that updates from Smartsheet Data? We pioneered 101+ ways to add a map to a Smartsheet Dashboard.

Smartsheet and GIS Integrations

ArcGIS Online

✅ Arc Py

✅ Smartsheet Advanced

✅ Manage your GIS records from Dynamic View, Sheet or Report

✅ No Code (Limited Applications Apply)

LinkedIn: (49) Ward Hively | LinkedIn

• Mike Ferringer
    Mike Ferringer ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the reply Ward.

I found that by adjusting the text box size, setting multi-line, setting scroll long text and and locking these settings during the creation of the fillable pdf form, I can control the font size... as long as the text does not exceed 1 line in length. Once a second line is created in the document generation, the font size drops to around a 6-8. Not ideal but still readable. Not sure what a single text formula is so have not tried that.

• Mike Ferringer
    Mike Ferringer ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a quick follow-up on this... I was able to get the font size to remain consistent throughout the document with multiple line entries.

It required (while in "Prepare Form" tool) selecting from Properties Tab, the specific font size and type in the Appearance tab, setting Position Height to accommodate the number of anticipated lines of text in that field, checking the box indicating "Do not change height and width when changing position", Checking Multi-line and Scroll long text on the Options tab and then locking the settings.