#INVALID COLUMN VALUE

LGraf
LGraf ✭✭✭✭
edited 05/18/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I am trying to run some formulas using data including a cell with a date but am receiving an #INVALID COLUMN VALUE error.

The cell, which is actually part of a larger data set organized in a column, is linked from another sheet. Both the original cell and the linked cell are formatted as dates. The same error occurs when trying to use a simple =ISDATE formula with data from other cells regardless of whether they have dates, numbers, or text.

Where am I going wrong?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

When using a date value in a formula, you need to use the DATE function.

=IF(CONTAINS("Meeting Package 4", [Actualized Services (Awarded Call Tracker)]@row), IF([Date of Award Notification (Awarded Call Tracker)]@row > DATE(2021, 12, 08), "$100"), "$105")

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @LGraf

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• LGraf
    LGraf ✭✭✭✭

See screenshot below.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@LGraf

Can you also paste the formula you're testing?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like you are trying to pull a date value into a non-date type column. Is the column you are putting the formula in set as a date type column?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@LGraf

Try changing the column to a Date Type or test adding +"" at the end of the formula if you don't want it formatted as a date column.

Did that work/help?

• LGraf
    LGraf ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't able to get any of those suggestions to work. See formulas and screenshot below.

[Test formulas 1 (text/number column)]1 contains "=ISDATE([Date of Award Notification (Awarded Call Tracker)]1)"

[Test formulas 1 (text/number column)]3 contains "=ISDATE([IF CONTAINS MEETING PACKAGE 4 = 1]@row)"

[Test formulas 1 (text/number column)]5 contains "=ISDATE([Actualized Services (Awarded Call Tracker)]5)"

[Test formulas 1 (text/number column)]7 contains "=ISDATE([Test formulas 1 (text/number column)]8)"

[Test formulas 1 (text/number column)]8 contains "05/03/23"

[Test formulas 2 (date column)]1 contains "=ISDATE([Date of Award Notification (Awarded Call Tracker)]@row)"

[Test formulas 2 (date column)]6 contains "=IF([Test formulas 2 (date column)]8 > "1/1/2020", "greater", "less")"

[Test formulas 2 (date column)]7 contains "=ISDATE([Test formulas 2 (date column)]8)"

[Test formulas 2 (date column)]9 contains "06/12/22"

The formula I am actually trying to run in [0001]1 contains "=IF(CONTAINS("Meeting Package 4", [Actualized Services (Awarded Call Tracker)]@row), IF([Date of Award Notification (Awarded Call Tracker)]@row > "12/8/21", "$100"), "$105")" but is turning up #INVALID OPERATION due to the original date issue.

Thanks a ton for your help!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

When using a date value in a formula, you need to use the DATE function.

=IF(CONTAINS("Meeting Package 4", [Actualized Services (Awarded Call Tracker)]@row), IF([Date of Award Notification (Awarded Call Tracker)]@row > DATE(2021, 12, 08), "$100"), "$105")

10xViz.com