Record a Date Automation not working with Move sheet automation

Options

I have a checkbox that triggers two separate automation.

1. Box checked = Record date
  2. Box checked = Move row to another sheet.

The move row automation is working, but the record date is not. Any ideas?

Answers

• Deric
    Deric ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/18/23
    Options

@fusiasuede

I think that your move row automation is triggering before your record date automation.

Workflows that are triggered by the same event run in the order that they are saved. with the most recently saved running last. See this post:

What is the order of operations for workflows? If multiple run at the same time which is run first? — Smartsheet Community

I number all of my workflows from 1 to 100... WHen i make a change in one of my workflows i resave them all to make sure the dependencies stay the same. I usually do this by adding or removing a period from the name. For example: 1 change cell workflow; 2 add date workflow; 3 move row workflow - would become: 1. change cell workflow; 2. add date workflow; 3. move row workflow.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @FusiaSuede

Another option is to change the Move workflow so that it runs at a specific time of day or once per hour and is conditional upon the box check and date is not blank (presuming date is blank until your automation updates it).

I also number my automations - it keeps them in order so they are easier to manage.

Hope this helps!

• Deric
    Deric ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@FusiaSuede @ker9

Ker9's solution is really the best practice. This allows for scalability and will save you headaches in the future.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!