Moving Report Filter Groups

Sara H
Sara H ✭✭✭✭
edited 05/19/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I can't figure out how to move an entire filter group in a report. I can move a condition into and out of a group but not move the whole group.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sara H

With filters the order does not matter for priority as you're either filtering or not filtering out rows. For example, if you filter out all rows that say "Value 1" and "Value 2" then no matter what order you put those in, both Value 1 and 2 will be filtered out. (That said, the Sort order in a Report does look at location for priority, you're correct!)

What organizes a Filter setting will be the AND or OR statements that you see on the right in terms of grouping the different filter statements together, does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Hi @Sara H

Can you post a screen capture of your current filters and explain what it is you're looking to do?

If you're trying to merge two filter groups together, you may need to drag each individual statement into a single group, one at a time.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Sara H
    Sara H ✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/19/23

@Genevieve P. I have multiple groups of filters and I wanted to move the one on the bottom up on the list. I understood that in a report the higher the filter group, the more it takes priority. Maybe it doesn't matter if they are all conditionally OR instead of AND?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sara H

With filters the order does not matter for priority as you're either filtering or not filtering out rows. For example, if you filter out all rows that say "Value 1" and "Value 2" then no matter what order you put those in, both Value 1 and 2 will be filtered out. (That said, the Sort order in a Report does look at location for priority, you're correct!)

What organizes a Filter setting will be the AND or OR statements that you see on the right in terms of grouping the different filter statements together, does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve