Pasting formulas from a plain text document causing #Unparseable Error

H Brian
H Brian ✭✭✭
edited 06/02/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hello all,

I am building a complex multilingual sheet that will be creating various documents using Document Builder depending on the user's choice of country and language. There are a lot of column formulas that are very similar but use different languages. I am using a text editor to track the formulas but have found I need to manually type each formula or Smartsheet determines the formula is #UNPARSEABLE.

Here are two copies of a formula - one needed to be typed and one could be copied from my document. I can't see a difference but Smartsheet can't proceed with the copied version. Does anyone know why this is occurring? It's causing me to lose time on a significant project with many languages and MANY different paragraphs with different formulas. Thanks!

=IF(ISBLANK([Activity Country]@row), " ", IF(Language@row = “Italian", “La stima precedente si basa sulla partecipazione dell'operatore sanitario a tutte le funzioni del programma. Se diversamente imposto dal viaggio, la stima sarà rivista in modo da riflettere il tempo effettivo di partecipazione all'evento. Se vengono pianificati altri eventi in seguito che possono influire sull'onorario dell'operatore sanitario, saranno discussi prima della conferma degli eventi aggiuntivi."))

=IF(ISBLANK([Activity Country]@row), " ", IF(Language@row = "Italian", "La stima precedente si basa sulla partecipazione dell'operatore sanitario a tutte le funzioni del programma. Se diversamente imposto dal viaggio, la stima sarà rivista in modo da riflettere il tempo effettivo di partecipazione all'evento. Se vengono pianificati altri eventi in seguito che possono influire sull'onorario dell'operatore sanitario, saranno discussi prima della conferma degli eventi aggiuntivi."))

Tags:

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@H Brian

If you look closely, you've got some quotation marks which are slanted. Those come from MS Word, etc sometimes and SmartSheet cannot interpret them. They need changed to normal quotation marks and then if your formula is formatted properly it will work. (I didn't look at your formula formatting)

• Darren Mullen
    Darren Mullen ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@H Brian My initial guess is that it has to do with the characters used in the text editor for the double quotes " and single quotes or apostrophes used in the Italian words.

Can you try writing a formula in your text editor and see if it has the same issue? Also try another word processor like MS Word or Google Docs and see if that makes a difference.... the text editor could causing the issue.

• H Brian
    H Brian ✭✭✭

@Darren Mullen Thank you for your prompt response. I'm having the same issue with Japanese, Korean, German, in multiple different formulas...and I've tried Notepad and MS Word as well. I didn't see any other community notes/questions regarding this issue. My last resort is Sticky Notes as I have a limited set of resources for text editors per my organization's security policies!

My assumption was that anything inside the double quotes would be ignored as text to output, but perhaps that is not the case for Smartsheet.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!