Default values in Columns

Hello all.

We have a Sheet and sometimes users forget to add important fields. We want to add default values to these fields in order to not be empty. The types of columns that need to have default values are: Text/Number, Contact List, Dropdown List. We have tried a way to add default values with workflows on Dropdown list columns, but it doesn't seem to work..

Would love any ideas on how to make this work, any workarounds etc.

Thank you.

Tags:

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@moraki

Need more info. Are these default values always the exact same thing? If so, you can just create a formula like ="text" and it would put "text" in that cell (without quotes). You can either make it a column formula (which makes it uneditable by the person entering data into the rows) or you can make sure the bottom 2 rows on your sheet have the same formula in it. SmartSheet will automatically enter a formula into a cell if the 2 rows above the new row both have the exact same formula. Then it'll act like a column formula but will still be editable. Just realize that if it's edited the next entry on the sheet won't use the formula any more.

Another option is to create a form people use to add new rows to a sheet. All fields on a form can have a default value set up in the form creation. You can either allow them to be edited and changed off of their default value or restrict them from being edited. You can even add them to the form, set a default value, and hide them so the person submitting the form cannot see it but it'll be added to their row when they submit the form.

• moraki
    moraki ✭✭

Mike,

Thank you for your comment. To answer your question, the default value is the same for all rows.

I have tried the first suggestion, the one with the formula, but it's not what we need since we want the field to be editable (so column formula is not an option), and the field formula won't work because, as you already said, if one entry is edited, then the formula won't apply anymore.

We are already using a form and the default setting there as you mentioned, but some users insert rows directly from the Sheet so we want to make sure certain fields are not left blank.

Do you have any ideas that could be applied in our case?

• Erik Jensen
    Erik Jensen ✭✭✭✭

Has there been any updates on this. I'm struggling with the same thing.

• I would like to create a default Contact value for every new row on a set of project template sheets for several departments without a form.

I thought maybe I could create a column formula to create a contact but haven't negotiated the correct syntax (tried ="Full Name" + " <email@xyz.com>". This worked when I bulk imported a list of 100+ names and emails into a group list using this syntax in a text field (=[Full Name]@row + " <" + Email@row + ">") then looped into a Contact field.

pegging @Andrée Starå who's helped in a previous life (employer).

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @RhondaRhocks

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you elaborate a little more?

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå

I created a "Team table" (Name and Contact only) and converted the formula below to a column formula to assign a default user without a form intake:

=INDEX({TeamContact}, MATCH("Current User Name", {TeamName}, 0))

Also created separate columns for Trainer and Admin because couldn't figure out how to add two contacts through a formula.

This allows 'Current User' within 3 different roles to view the report:

I did not use Smartsheet for over a year and it's sad how much I forgot, but it is coming back with each challenge at a time. Glad to have the Community for the assist.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RhondaRhocks

Excellent!

Glad you got it working!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.