Copy only new rows with automation

Hi, I have an automation set up to copy new rows to a second sheet to run background calculations from. I would like it to just copy the new rows, however when a single new row is added, the entire grid gets re-copied. How can I set this up so it only captures the new rows? I would like this to be dynamic, but I cannot filter by something like "created date is in the past 1 minute".

Automation setup:

Trigger: + When new rows are added

Where Row ID is any value

Copy to ... destination sheet.

Answers

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @emey1

I suggest adding a helper column that your automation can use to update. At the end of your copy automation, add and additional item to change a cell value. In your new helper column change the value to "Copied" or whatever makes sense to you (or use a checkbox). Then you can conditionally copy rows that do not have "Copied" or checkbox is not checked in that helper column.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful to you.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @emey1

Do you really need the 2nd sheet for the background calculations? A lot of times a metric sheet is used to perform calculations with cross sheet references. That way you maintain the single source of truth for the data driving the metrics.

I hope that helps too.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner