Smartsheet Form & File Attachment

Hello, is it possible to have the file uploaded on a smartsheet form to be attached to the email notification?

Best Answer

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Syd - okay, I attached a word doc to this comment that explains it step by step. Basically, I have my Google Chrome browser laid out to ask me anytime I download a file, where I want the file saved. Some automatically default it to a certain folder, and sometimes it just is defaulted automatically to a downloads folder... I'd check that as well, or even check the downloads folder to verify. Sometimes, it may download and send it to a folder that you may not know its sending to.

Let me know if this helps at all!

Certifications:

-Smartsheet 2023 Core Product Certification

-Smartsheet 2023 System Administrator Certification

Answers

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Syd -

From my experience, the only way to push the attachment through is by using the generate document/docusign feature. We currently use adobe sign, and have a specific method that allows a process we have to get the document and sign the document via adobe sign... but it is more manually intensive than the docusign method. From there, docusign would be the deliverer of the document when the document is signed, etc, as normal.

You could send the file directly from the attachments tab, by clicking the file and sending it to the individuals you'd like to -- but I don't believe it can be triggered yet by an automated notification.

Would love others' thoughts on this though -- there are workarounds to this if you are skilled with scripting but it requires pulling the file using power automate into a folder stored on your server and then compiling the notification from your own system.

Certifications:

• Syd
    Syd ✭✭

Thanks @StevenBlackburnMBA, just to confirm. The email notification currently shows a file was uploaded to the form, but there isn't a way for it to actually attach the uploaded file?

@StevenBlackburnMBA

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭

@Syd - my apologies, I misunderstood the question. You can attach the files and review them that way... are you having trouble opening?

They should be accessible by clicking and downloading the file... but I don't believe you have access to separate who sees what... if its submitted, whoever is on the notification should have access to any of the attached files.

Certifications:

• Syd
    Syd ✭✭

@StevenBlackburnMBA correct, I am unable to download the file by clicking on it in the email. 😕

Thanks for your help btw!

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭

No problem at all... let me see if I can send some screenshots to show from my perspective. Hopefully it helps!!

Certifications:

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Syd - okay, I attached a word doc to this comment that explains it step by step. Basically, I have my Google Chrome browser laid out to ask me anytime I download a file, where I want the file saved. Some automatically default it to a certain folder, and sometimes it just is defaulted automatically to a downloads folder... I'd check that as well, or even check the downloads folder to verify. Sometimes, it may download and send it to a folder that you may not know its sending to.

Let me know if this helps at all!

Certifications:

• Syd
    Syd ✭✭

@StevenBlackburnMBA you are the best! I was able to create the automation workflow and the testing worked! Fingers crossed our client finds it feasible.

You're awesome!

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭

No problem, I’m glad you got it working!!

Certifications: