How to hide certain columns to certain poeple, while unhide to the rest

Hi Dear Community

I am sharing my sheet to 2 groups of poeple, for group A they can see the entire sheet, but for group B I would like they to see only part of the columns. Both groups can edit what they can see in the sheet.

Is there a way to acheive that?

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @流风回雪

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using Reports?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• 流风回雪
    流风回雪 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Dear Andrée Starå

Thank you so much for your solution!

It can work, but more like a compromise way. Editing on a report is less convenient.

It would be better for me to set access right to each column.

But that can also work for now, thanks a lot.

By the way are you a BOT?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@流风回雪

Excellent!

Happy to help!

I agree. Great idea! That would be a great addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

Haha!, No, I'm not a bot! 🤣

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @流风回雪

Dynamic View

There is a product called Dynamic View for such use. (The image of its use is in the top part of the dashboard image below.)

Use Separate Sheet

Cell-linking

If Dynamic View is unavailable, prepare a separate sheet for group A.

Then, add group B's data to the sheet for group A by cell-linking

In addition to the cell-linked columns, add columns only group A uses.

In this case, the A group cannot edit the cell-linked data from B on the sheet for A, so A must also be given permission to edit B's sheet. If Group A needs to edit Group B's data, they must go to B's sheet or use the report to combine A and B sheets.

The drawback of this method is you have to make cell-linking manually.

Copy Rows from B to A by Automation

Another way is to use Workflow automation so that when rows are added to sheet B, they are automatically copied to sheet A. (Bottome part of Dashboard image)

On the sheet for A, add columns for group A's use. Group B can not see these columns.

If you set the copy automation to copy rows with a row-changes trigger, the workflow will add multiple rows to the sheet for group A for the same row in B.

In this case, you can create a report combining sheets A and B and sort by row ID and Created Date.

Such a mechanism is possible, but it could be more straightforward.

Best Practice

So, Dynamic view is a best-practice way if you can afford it.