Importing from Excel works one way, but not another?

Options
jmhoward
jmhoward ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am trying to create a new sheet from Excel data. If I create the sheet and then go into the sheet and click File>Import>Import from Microsoft Excel, I can pull the data in, but when I leave the sheet, everything is gone. When I import the data, I follow all the usual import steps, but the Save option is grayed out.

However, in the workspace, if I click Create and then Import from Microsoft Excel, the process works just fine and the data saves.

Does this mean that the File>Import>Import from Microsoft Excel is only for adding data to a sheet that already has a structure (column headers, primary column set)?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 07/03/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jmhoward

To clarify, when you import data from Excel directly within the App, it will always create a new sheet. That means if you're in a sheet when you click Import, it will bring in the data to an entirely new sheet.

If you then leave Smartsheet and come back to the original, blank sheet you were on when you selected "Import", it will still be blank because data isn't mapped into that sheet. Does that make sense?

See: Import Files to Create New Sheets

Look for a new sheet with the same name as your file and you should find your data there! 🙂

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jmhoward

I find that the sheet will pull in as expected, but I need to enter data into at least 1 cell, in order for things to save / be accessible later. As soon as you do it, you would find the sheet to be accessible / findable in the search.

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @jmhoward

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

If you haven’t already, I recommend submitting a support ticket through the new Smartsheet Support Portal.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 07/03/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jmhoward

To clarify, when you import data from Excel directly within the App, it will always create a new sheet. That means if you're in a sheet when you click Import, it will bring in the data to an entirely new sheet.

If you then leave Smartsheet and come back to the original, blank sheet you were on when you selected "Import", it will still be blank because data isn't mapped into that sheet. Does that make sense?

See: Import Files to Create New Sheets

Look for a new sheet with the same name as your file and you should find your data there! 🙂

Cheers,

Genevieve