Save As New does not link to new sheets, dashboards or forms

Options

Hello,

It seems since there is the option for the links to link to the newly created sheets, etc. that when selecting this option when save as new it would link to the new sheets. However, none of the linking works for me. For example, if I use the metric widget on a dashboard it remains as the original sheet as the data source. However, my reports use the new data source. So I'm basically unable to quickly duplicate dashboards that use the metric widget without having to go in an rebuild the links. The same with an embedded form, it always used the original template not the form from the newly created sheet from save as new. So it basically just recreates the structure but all the links always need rebuilt. Other than with reports, it does pull my data from the new reports derived from the save as new. Is this just how it works or am I doing something wrong?

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Charles_M,

I'm able to have the dashboard metric widget take the value from the newly created sheets as long as I "Save as new" to the entire set of files.

If I have a folder with a project plan, helper grid, reports, dashboards, and so on; I "Save as new" on the entire folder. Then the new copy will look at the new sheets, including the dashboard looking at the new sheets even for metric widgets.

All the best,

-Ray

• Charles_M
    Options

Hello Ray, I am indeed Saving As New the entire set of files but the links always pull from the template folder. Not sure what the problem is.

• Charles_M
    Options

@Ray Lindstrom, so I have it working now like I assumed it should and like you stated. When I save the whole folder structure as new, the dashboard pulls from the new, associated sheets. However, no such luck with an embedded form, I assume this won't work with embedded forms. But I could be wrong, have you had any luck with this?

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're absolutely right. It won't know a new embed code, and will carry the same one until updated. I haven't got a solution for that one.