Return count of parent rows that contain specific data in child row

browns99df
edited 07/13/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all - this might be an easy one but I'm blanking. Here's a table:

The "2" being returned in row 13 uses: =COUNTIF([Primary Column]3:[Column2]11, "Green"). Easy enough.

I'm having trouble with rows 14 and 15. I'd like those to return a count of categories (i.e. parent rows) that contain a child with specific data. So, row 14 (green foods) should return a count of 1 since there is only one parent with one or more green foods. Row 15 (red foods) should return a count of 2 since there are two parents with children that have the color red.

Is there a simple function I'm missing here?

Thank you!!

Best Answer

• Itai
    Itai ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @browns99df,

I have an idea that is far from ideal but maybe it will help you.

Add a helper column with a formula that counts the descendants that are in your criteria, then COUNTIF this column without counting the '0', <>0.

Helper formula: =COUNTIF(DESCENDANTS([Column 2]1), "Green")

Main formula: =COUNTIF(Helper1:Helper9, <>0)

I am assuming other members will have better ideas for you but this works :)

Itai Perez

Reporting and Project Manager

If you found my comment helpful any reaction, Insightful, Awsome etc... would be appreciated🙂

https://www.linkedin.com/in/itai-perez/

Answers

• Itai
    Itai ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @browns99df,

I have an idea that is far from ideal but maybe it will help you.

Add a helper column with a formula that counts the descendants that are in your criteria, then COUNTIF this column without counting the '0', <>0.

Helper formula: =COUNTIF(DESCENDANTS([Column 2]1), "Green")

Main formula: =COUNTIF(Helper1:Helper9, <>0)

I am assuming other members will have better ideas for you but this works :)

Itai Perez

Reporting and Project Manager

If you found my comment helpful any reaction, Insightful, Awsome etc... would be appreciated🙂

https://www.linkedin.com/in/itai-perez/

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!