Creating a Date completed Automation

Ethan Kohl
edited 10/24/24 in Formulas and Functions

I am attempting to create a formula that returns the date when my "Completed" column = 100%. Smartsheet keeps saying my syntax is incorrect. From what I can tell I need to use the TODAY function paired with an addition column that acts as a check to prevent it from perpetually updating the cell. In English the formula for Date Completed column would be: If completed = 100% & check column is not checked return Today's Date. And the checked column would be: If Date Completed, is not blank, check column.
The two formulas I have as of right now are

Completed Date:

=IF(AND([Completed]@row = 100, [Check]@row = 0), TODAY(), )

and

Check:

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Completed Date]@row)), 1, 0)

Edit: I realize now that this is a circular reference. I think I need a third column to do some sort of storage check but IDK what exactly.

Best Answer

Answers

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Is there a reason you are not using the "Record a Date" automation instead?

• Ethan Kohl
    edited 4:22AM

Every time I try the automation, when it updates, it is autofilling the entire column with the same date rather than just the rows that have completed at 100%. The automation as I understand it should be something along the lines of If column "completed" =100% then record date in "Completed Date" column. I then ran the automation to the afore mentioned result.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!