Question: How do I update a sheet and have it reflected in all projects?

Hello - I need to add a row to a sheet in our project toolkit. I have added the row to the metadata sheet, but when I created a test project and it fed into the intake sheet and control center just fine, it's just the sheet (our project status tracker) isn't updating with that version in the new toolkit. What am I doing wrong? Here is a screenshot of the metadata sheet - I added the "provisioning start date:"

Do I also need to make this update on the project status tracker template we use? Do I also need to use a formula in the "date" column on the metadata sheet so that it reflects a date? How do I make that a dropdown date picker? Thank you!

Tags:

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dawn_ATX

You have a lot going on here. If I follow right (which I'm not sure I am), you should go into Control Center and edit the BluePrint so that this new piece of Profile Data is added to the the right objects. If information is going from your screen shot sheet to a summary rollup, you should put a DATEONLY formula in the Link column next to Provisioning Start Date, aiming at the Date field...since everything in the Link column will roll up.

If you want to add the Provisioning Start Date to all existing projects you could do that using the Add Profile Data feature in Global Updates in Control Center. After which, you might need to do "Update Reporting" on each project within Control Center to ensure that the Profile Data is linked up to the Summary Rollup.

As for the dropdown date picker question, drop downs are applied to entire columns in Smartsheet so I don't think you'd want that. The data picker is automatic on a date column but in your snapshot that field has a gray box around it, instead of blue, suggesting that the information is coming from somewhere else, I think, and therefore cannot be edited on this sheet.

I hope that helps and I hope others will comment if my interpretation here is incorrect.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Dawn_ATX
    Dawn_ATX ✭✭✭✭

@Matt Johnson Thanks for your quick response! I already checked in control center and the update to the metadata sheet is there. My problem and / or question is: how do I make the update to the template so that all future projects have this new field in it? I'm not concerned with past projects right now. Do I need to make that adjustment on the template itself and then link back to the cell in the metadata sheet?

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dawn_ATX

Sometimes I wish there was a screen share option right here in the chat. Once you update the Template and ensure that the Metadata is visible in the Blueprint Configuration with Intake and Metadata sheets being visible then it should push out automatically the next time you run a new project. Maybe create a test project and see if the data works now.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

• Dawn_ATX
    Dawn_ATX ✭✭✭✭

@Matt Johnson I know - that would be an awesome feature! Here is what my project status tracker looks like. I'm not sure what my next step is. I have already made the update to the template, but my question is: what do I need to do on either the metadata sheet or the template so that the new information is populated there? I already tried with a test opportunity, but the information didn't update, so there's definitely an additional step I need to take here to ensure the changes take:

I feel like there is a formula I need to enter on the master metadata sheet and reference the input that would go in the box underneath the provisioning start date, but I have no idea what that formula would be since I want it to be a date field.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dawn_ATX

This is going to be a difficult one to solve via messages like this. If your plan includes Pro Desk support you should consider requesting a meeting with that Team at Smartsheet; or if you know any Smartsheet Partners (wink, wink) you could reach out and maybe they would help this time, with the hope to win more work next time.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one...in the Forums. -Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

• Dawn_ATX
    Dawn_ATX ✭✭✭✭

@Matt Johnson Hi Matt - guess what? I was able to figure it out!! Thanks for your willingness to help me out here. Truly appreciate it and I have your information bookmarked. ;)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!