How to use form to update a row of data?

New to using Smartsheet. We have a requirement to create a smartsheet form to intake information and periodically update that row of data over the course of months/years.

A given row is unique based on a drop down value where no 2 rows will have the same drop down value.

We are struggling to use the form to select an existing drop down value and see the existing data from the row.

Can a form be used in this way to update a row of data? If so...how, or what are the alternatives?

Answers

• Jaime M.
    Jaime M. ✭✭✭

Hello!

Using a form will only allow you to add a new row, not to edit an existing row. I would suggest using a dynamic view for updating rows. An example is below.

Here an employee can submit a new request via a form (or they can also submit a new request via the dynamic view if you select this option), and go back into the dynamic view to edit the start date or end date as needed. You can make any of the fields required or view only (such as the total days off count, which is a formula and is unable to be edited in the dynamic view).

You can also create a dynamic view off of a filter in a sheet. For the example below, you may want to only show upcoming time off requests, not those that have already occurred.

Additionally, you can create a report from multiple sheets, then use that report to create a dynamic view where individuals can update the information from multiple sheets in one place.

Hope this helps!

• Ref2335
    Ref2335 ✭✭

Thanks!!! Will give this a try! Really appreciate the prompt reply!

• frhnh
    frhnh ✭✭

Hi, is there a way to just fill in form and they will update the exsiting row as if if they were to find by model or serial they have to scroll a long dynamic view

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @frhnh

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend using an Update Request instead after the initial form.

The Premium Apps, Dynamic View, or WorkApps are two other options. (In both of these options, you would only show the current viewers model/serial match, so there wouldn't be a long list)

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello! I had this same question and now understand that it is not possible. Is it possible to put additional information into the update request, such as instruction, or is the update request form what it is foundationally?