Relation between Automated Workflow and Dependencies enabled

Dear all,

I am using an automated workflow, so that when I change a task's status to "In Progress", the actual date will be recorded in field "Start Date".

So far so good, but since I added this workflow, I can not use Dependencies in my Project anymore.

As soon as I enable Dependencies to calculate the duration of the task, the automated workflow is not valid anymore.

I am sure I miss something or do not understand the relationship between these two settings, but I don't know where to look. So and idea or hint would be highly appreciated. 😊

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Christopher Sullivan
    Answer ✓

I am assuming you're using child and parent rows and the project template from Smartsheet, which means all of the "Project Management" features are enabled. You may need to use a couple of helper columns or just one depending on what you're trying to do ultimately.

I believe you can create a column and call it something like "Actual Start Date" and call the current one something like "Projected Start Date." Likewise, you can do one for "Actual Finish."

The date columns for start and end in a project plan are set up to track against the variance and whatnot, so each child row automatically rolls up into the parent and they are considered dependencies.

Answers

• Christopher Sullivan
    Answer ✓

I am assuming you're using child and parent rows and the project template from Smartsheet, which means all of the "Project Management" features are enabled. You may need to use a couple of helper columns or just one depending on what you're trying to do ultimately.

I believe you can create a column and call it something like "Actual Start Date" and call the current one something like "Projected Start Date." Likewise, you can do one for "Actual Finish."

The date columns for start and end in a project plan are set up to track against the variance and whatnot, so each child row automatically rolls up into the parent and they are considered dependencies.