Columns reordering on refresh

Alicia Prinsloo
edited 07/25/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Good day,

I have a large workbook, containing various conditional formatting and formulas linked to other sheets.

There are several users with viewing access, but they cannot move the columns.

Every time the sheet is saved / refreshed, columns shift around, mainly to the back and others unhide themselves. The activity log shows users who don't have access are responsible, so it's not the users.

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Alicia Prinsloo

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée,

I'm not quite sure what exactly to share on screenshot.

It's a large sheet with several columns that contain formulas linked to other sheets and almost 4000 rows.

The blue moved but is pretty stable now. The green block appears to be static so far and the red keeps shifting to the back and the hidden columns unhide. I reorder them and when I save/refresh, they've shifted.

This only started to happen after we shared with our team.

But, when I view the activity log, I can see people who apparently did it, but they don't have the access.

I am the owner and only one other person has admin rights, and she was in a call with me watching it happen on my screen.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Alicia Prinsloo

Strange!

Have you double-checked their access so it's not shared in a Workspace/Group or something similar with higher permission?

Have you asked the users what they are doing?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée

Yes, I have spoken to the team.

They are using several tick boxes and updating notes on the sheet. Most of the information is static data and several columns drawn in with formulas and locked.

They claim the activity log is wrong, and that they cannot move the columns. None of them would benefit from the rearranging the columns in this manner.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Alicia Prinsloo

Ok. Strange!

If you haven’t already, I recommend submitting a support ticket through the new Smartsheet Support Portal.

Feel free to get back to the post with what you find out.