Sorting Rows

My team and I are adding rows to a sheet. I want to be able to sort the rows of information based on the date the rows were added. As a result, I sorted the rows according to the date they were created and saved the sheet. As each of my team members adds new rows, the rows are reordered. How can I keep this from happening?

Thank you for your help!

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Asha,

If the new row added via a form submission, then by default it shall be added to the bottom of the sheet, this is naturally sorted by created date.

In case the new row added to the sheet by feature of "insert a new row" then we can not sort the rows automatically by created date. In this case you may want to create a Report that include all the sheet's rows and use Sort icon to sort rows by created date. You can use this Report as main reference instead of the sheet.

Gia Thinh Technology - Smartsheet Solution Partner.

• Asha Krishnan
    Asha Krishnan ✭✭✭✭

@Gia Thinh Thank you for your response! Just to clarify, what you are saying is even if we sort the rows by a column and save the sheet, the rows will be reordered when a team member adds a new row through the sheet. The only way to fix this is to use a report, and there are no other possible workarounds at this time.

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

".. if we sort the rows by a column and save the sheet, the rows will be reordered when a team member adds a new row through the sheet..." --> No, the rows will not be reordered. It just keeps the last order when you saved the sheet. 

I assume that you have sorted the rows based on the Created date in increasing order. This means the row at the bottom is the newest added to the sheet. The issue is when a member adds a new row in any position he wants (top, middle of the sheet) then he may break that order. It this case Report with sort feature is a way to keep your rows in the order.

• Asha Krishnan
    Asha Krishnan ✭✭✭✭

@Gia Thinh Thank you! Yes, I have sorted the rows based on the created date in increasing order. Just to be sure, if the team members continue inserting rows to the bottom of the sheet, it should not reshuffle the order that I saved, correct?

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It's correct!