Select a specific row for a SmartSheet dashboard or chart?

Options

We run an architecture review board where we score along 12 measures.Each row in our grid represents one review, and the scores for that review are recorded in 12 columns. I'd like to create a dashboard or chart where I can choose a row and the dashboard will update to show the scores for that review. Is this possible?

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@KCN

One approach is to add a helper checkbox column. The checked row can be brought into a report, which can be used in a dashboard - either to show the row and the desired columns all at once, or as the data source for metric widgets. The check can be done manually or via formula - such as the most recently added row or other criteria

Would this approach work for you? If you need help building a report, let me know

Kelly

• IsaacS
    IsaacS ✭✭✭
    Options

@Kelly Moore

I have the same question almost as @KCN .

I have an intake log for business requests that go through a review similar to an architecture review board.

What I'd like to create is a dashboard that is essentially a "one pager" about the request idea, showing specific columns from a single row's data, i.e.: "Request Name" "Estimated Cost" "Date Needed" etc.

I follow your advice to create a helper checkbox that can pull only those columns into a report. What I don't understand is how to create a dashboard using metric widgets from that report in a way that is easily duplicatable (and doesn't require lots of manual reconnections of each metric widget).

Thanks for any tips.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @IsaacS

Unfortunately reports can't yet be used as inputs for metric widgets. The reports can be grouped and summarized, if necessary, in a collapsed format to show totals. It seems like this could be your '1 pager' for the dashboard?

If your subscription gives you access to the pivot table app you can use the report as the data source for the pivot, then pull your data into the app. From the pivot table generated, you could then use the pivot totals as your metrics. Not seeing your data, I can only guess this would work - IF you have access to the pivot app. I have done this many times in my data when I really want to use the metric widgets and I want my data to always be evergreen without me having to touch it. This is the best workaround I can come up with without having to manually build each metric.

Does any of this work for you?

Kelly

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Kelly's excellent advice/answer.

You could do something similar using the Sheet Summary section instead. I did this recently in a client solution where they needed to select an Invoice to print from a dashboard.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• sholmes
    sholmes ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå I am trying to create a dashbaord from a sheet. I have two questions:

1. I have data in two sheets that I need it to check to see if an item is missing from both sheets to get the total missing. Both sheets have the same columns and use the same header it's just separate because it's for two different groups but management want the overall received and outstanding so that is what I am trying to get the dashboard to do. I did it last year but we didn't have two sheets, but I used =COUNTIF({2023 Tax Return Reconciliation Range 1}, <>"") - I tried using =COUNTIFS({2023 Tax Return Reconciliation Range 1}, 2023 Tax Return AHEF Range <>"")
    2. On this same dashboard the main sheet keeps getting sorted (several people work from this sheet) when it does this it is counting blank rows which is throwing off the count. Is there someway I can have it only count if the row has data? Side note, can I block people from re-sorting as the sheet owner?
  • sholmes
    sholmes ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DKazatsky2 was hoping you could help me.

1. I have data in two sheets that I need it to check to see if an item is missing from both sheets to get the total missing. Both sheets have the same columns and use the same header it's just separate because it's for two different groups but management want the overall received and outstanding so that is what I am trying to get the dashboard to do. I did it last year but we didn't have two sheets, but I used =COUNTIF({2023 Tax Return Reconciliation Range 1}, <>"") - I tried using =COUNTIFS({2023 Tax Return Reconciliation Range 1}, 2023 Tax Return AHEF Range <>"")
    2. On this same dashboard the main sheet keeps getting sorted (several people work from this sheet) when it does this it is counting blank rows which is throwing off the count. Is there someway I can have it only count if the row has data? Side note, can I block people from re-sorting as the sheet owner?

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@sholmes,

I'm not entirely clear on what is trying to be accomplished here. Would you be able to provide some examples/screen shots? Making sure to not include any sensitive data

• mkaiza
    mkaiza ✭✭
    Options

I wish the answers included examples we could look at.