Restrict set of checkbox columns to only check one per row

Hello,

I have a set of 5 columns adjacent to each other, all of them formatted as checkboxes.

Can anyone suggest a way to restrict a user to only checking one box per row, out of the 5 available?

Thanks, Dennis

Best Answer

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Wow, I can really relate to that on a spiritual level. In my workplace, I make it enticing to use forms by embedding them on dashboards with a bunch of other useful data. I also setup automation to make the use of forms appear easier.

You could also setup automation based on logic, to send them notifications if they've selected more than one of the checkboxes and that it needs to be corrected -- this, paired with conditional formatting may help people "Get the clue"

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

Answers

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Dennis at AECOM,

You can achieve this through automation. Select Automation, Create from scratch, and specify the conditions seen here

Alternatively, you can use logic in the forms builder to have the check boxes disappear if one of them is selected.

This would require you to fill out data via form though.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• Jacob, thanks for you comment. Problem is, though, I don't want the entire row to lock up as soon as the user selects a checkbox, as there are many other cells that require data to be entered during the initial entry, as well as later.

The idea of using logic in the entry form is a good one, though, thanks. This works as long as users only enter data from a form, something that only lasts until they realize they can just enter new rows in the sheet itself.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dennis at AECOM

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use the Form Logic or add a message in the form and in the sheet using a formula.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree, thanks. I thought about the message logic, which was the only way I could see it working, but that's more of a safeguard than a control, as a user could simply type over the formula.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dennis at AECOM

Happy to help!

My idea was to add a so-called helper column or add it somewhere else but lock it down with a column formula or by locking the column/row.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Wow, I can really relate to that on a spiritual level. In my workplace, I make it enticing to use forms by embedding them on dashboards with a bunch of other useful data. I also setup automation to make the use of forms appear easier.

You could also setup automation based on logic, to send them notifications if they've selected more than one of the checkboxes and that it needs to be corrected -- this, paired with conditional formatting may help people "Get the clue"

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!