Customize the From Name of Smartsheet Alerts and Requests

Options
Lekshmi Unnithan
Lekshmi Unnithan Employee
edited 09/14/23 in Product Announcements

Hi Community, 

A common problem that our customers faced was that the email From Name for automated Smartsheet alerts or requests used to be the name of an unfamiliar sheet owner or the person triggering the automation, often leading to these valuable notification emails being ignored.

We’re happy to announce that workflow builders can now set the From Name of automated alerts, update requests, or approval requests to come from one of the following options:

• Send from Smartsheet Automation
  • Send from my organization*
  • Send from triggering user (for alerts) or Send from sheet owner (for requests)

By customizing the From Name of Smartsheet automation emails, you increase the chances of recipients opening the email and taking the intended actions, thereby boosting the effectiveness of the automation.

*Please note that the Send from my organization option is only available for customers on Enterprise plans or higher. Users on a free Trial as well as licensed users on Individual, Pro, and Business plans can use the Send from Smartsheet Automation and the Send from triggering user/sheet owner customization options.

To get started, check out this help article on how to customize the content of your alerts and requests.

You can also stay informed by subscribing to receive product release updates for curated news of recently released product capabilities and enhancements for the platform of your choosing, delivered to your inbox. As new releases occur, you will receive a daily email with news of what's released. (Emails will only send daily, Monday-Friday, as new releases are available).

Cheers,

Lekshmi Unnithan

Senior Product Marketing Manager

Product screenshots:

Enterprise plans and higher:

Individual, Pro, and Business plans:

Relationship between From Name and Reply To email address

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Lekshmi Unnithan

I hope you're well and safe!

Amazing! Thanks! This will help many of my clients.

I need clarification on the help article. The article states that It's included in all plans except the free.

It doesn't say anything that it's only available in Enterprise. (not that I can see)

Which is correct? I want to make sure before I talk to my clients.

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Darla Brown
    Darla Brown Overachievers
    Options

Finally! My team has been anxiously waiting for this update. Thanks, @Lekshmi Unnithan , and team.

Darla Brown

What you meditate on, you empower!

Overachiever - Core Product Certified - Mobilizer - EAP

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Lekshmi Unnithan

Regarding the updated Help article https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2479256-customize-the-content-of-your-alerts-and-requests

The new section for Customize From Name needs to go into more detail about what the choices mean, and what email ends up being the Reply-To address if someone replies to the message.

Specifically, if the option chosen is Send From Smartsheet Automation or Send From My Organization, when someone replies to that email the reply is still going to be sent to the sheet owner. With the Send From Triggering User option, if the automation is triggered by a specific user's changes, that user is shown as the sender and replies are sent to that triggering user instead of to the sheet owner, yes?

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hi Andrée, thank you for catching that! We are working to get the help article updated ASAP. But I can confirm that the "Send from my organization" dropdown option is only available for Enterprise and higher plans.

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. This change is the first of many that are planned to enhance the workflow customization and notification experience. The Product team is evaluating further enhancements to set the From Name as a specific person/group and customize the reply-to. While they are not yet confirmed for our roadmap, I can share that we are evaluating these capabilities. Please consider joining the Early Adopter Program (if you aren't already a part of it) so that you can get early access to some of our latest and greatest features.

Thanks,

Lekshmi

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hi Jeff,

I've added a screenshot to the main post detailing the relationship between the From Name and Reply To email address. We will work to get the help article updated with this information too.

Thanks,

Lekshmi

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• TiffanyG
    Options

I second Amanda Webb's comment above:

"We would like for the notifications to be sent from, and responses to go to, a specific email address. This is often a shared email box that can be accessed by multiple people, rather than sending tons of emails directly to an individual (who may or may not have anything to do with it, they only created the sheet).

Having the ability to customize, the From name is very helpful, but we still want to make sure that the sheet creator is not inundated with irrelevant emails. Please consider making this part of a future update, as it would save us valuable time from having to forward emails to the correct teams.

• Felicia Wilson
    Felicia Wilson ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/31/23
    Options

I agree with all of the comments above regarding the solution, its still not customizable enough of an option.

We would like the notifications to be sent from, and responses to go to a specific email address. I would add that we would like to be able to change the FROM title as well for example instead of "John Smith via Smartsheet <automation@app.smartsheet.com>" I'd like to be able to put in my own description, such as "Project ABC via Smartsheet <automation@app.smartsheet.com>" By allowing this customization, we can alert the receiver of the notification with a title that is more relevant.

• katheride
    katheride ✭✭✭
    edited 09/07/23
    Options

The fact that the reply-to header is still going to the sheet owner is a major issue. Sheet owners are invariably developers and not the people who actually run and oversee the actual workflows. I am becoming increasingly hesitant to recommend using Smartsheet as a solution because any new project dramatically increases my email traffic. Adding text to tell recipients to reply to a specific email is prone to end user error.

• Colleen Branigan
    Colleen Branigan ✭✭✭
    edited 10/24/23
    Options

This is a helpful enhancement but the ability to self designate the "from" email would be much more helpful. I design a lot of sheets and templates for our teams and am not the correct person to receive feedback from automated emails. It would also be nice to be able to "cc" other individuals without having to create a separate alert workflow. Hoping to see these options in future enhancements. I did try transferring ownership of some sheets but would love to eliminate this extra step. Additionally I do occasionally receive an error message that I am unable to transfer ownership to the individual I requested.