Is there a way to separate the predecessor link so that the task doesn't start immediately?

Finn
Finn ✭✭
edited 08/14/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm hoping to find a way to adjust the scheduling of tasks based on resource availability however the only way I can seem to add a delay between two tasks is by adding lag to the predecessor relationship. However this adds a fixed time to the end of the task whereas I do want to keep the start of the next task on a fixed date but track the dependent previous tasks.

Current workaround is to create a milestone called "start [task name]" on a fixed date and then use that as a predecessor as well.

Another option is create another predecessor column that can be used to show dependency but not set the start of the next one, then just use conditional formatting to raise a warning if something is not completed before the next part starts.

Both of these are fairly clunky though, does anyone know of a cleaner way to do this?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide a screenshot that shows what you are wanting to accomplish for context?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Finn
    Finn ✭✭

Like this here,

doing it like this will keep the prototype 2 task fixed unless the design task changes past the prototype 2 start date. I guess my main issue is that with the start date being hard tied to the end date of the predecessor tasks it's difficult to schedule work based on resource availability or other factors, unless there's something I'm missing

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried setting the previous task as an FS dependent on the next task?

The way I understand is that you want Prototype 2 start to be locked in and have the Prototype 1 end date dependent on that. If that's correct then setting an FS dependency on Prototype 1 should do the trick.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com