Dashboard Question

I am pretty new to smartsheet so I was looking to see if I could get some guidance. My manager is looking to see if it is possible to select "Ready for Test" on the dashboard and ideally it would take her to the smartsheet but only to the rows that have "Ready for Test" selected. She does not want to see the entire smartsheet which has 500ish rows, just the few rows that have ready for test. Is there a way to make this happen?

Currently, I created a shared filter so she can select that. But that is a temporary fix to what she is looking to have done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answers

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @WesMcNally ,

You can create a report that is filtered to only show rows that are ready to test. Next, for the dashboard widget, for "Widget Behavior" choose "Open a Smartsheet item..." and link the report you just created. When the widget is clicked, the user will be brought to the report.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@WesMcNally

On The Dashboard you can have the widget perform an action upon click. One of those is to open a Smartsheet Item. The easiest way to have it open only ready for test is to make a report of the sheet and filter it to only show items marked ready for test and then have your widget link to the report.

Answers

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @WesMcNally ,

You can create a report that is filtered to only show rows that are ready to test. Next, for the dashboard widget, for "Widget Behavior" choose "Open a Smartsheet item..." and link the report you just created. When the widget is clicked, the user will be brought to the report.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@WesMcNally

On The Dashboard you can have the widget perform an action upon click. One of those is to open a Smartsheet Item. The easiest way to have it open only ready for test is to make a report of the sheet and filter it to only show items marked ready for test and then have your widget link to the report.

• That sounds like it would do the trick but I am wondering if I save the smartsheet that the dashboard pulls from to make an identical copy, filter it to "Ready to Test", if someone updates the original smartsheet, will it also update the copy I created that has the filter?

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@WesMcNally

You do not need to make a copy of the original sheet and set the filter there. Make a new report and filter that then link the report to the dashboard widget and everything will also be in sync. As the main sheet changes, so will the filtered report.

One sheet and one report.

Unless I am misunderstanding you're question?

• I think you understand it. I guess with my knowledge of smartsheet so far (been working on the trainings and toying around with a few things), the part I am stuck on is when you say "make a new report". In one of our smartsheet folders, we have the dashboard and underneath it is the spreadsheet. Are you saying to filter the spreadsheet then link the report to the dashboard?

So the goal is below:

We want the entire smartsheet to open when its selected.

We want the "Ready for test" option on the dashboard to pull only the lines that have the ready for test filter on it.