INDEX/MATCH/ISBLANK

Nicole D
Nicole D ✭✭✭✭
edited 08/31/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

I'm having trouble with a formula.

I'm looking to return a cell value from an INDEX/MATCH function but if it's blank, to return another cell value from an INDEX/MATCH function.

Company adds travel justification based on employee ID's. If the employee ID hasn't been generated yet (pre hire travel), then the manager's employee ID is used.

This is the formula I am using, however, it's not showing the employee ID when available.

=IF(ISBLANK(INDEX({Source Sheet - Employee ID}, MATCH([Request ID]@row, {Source Sheet - Request ID}))), INDEX({Source Sheet - Manager ID}, MATCH([Request ID]@row, {Source Sheet - Request ID})))

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sorry about that. I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted that. There is also the step of outputting the original INDEX/MATCH if the original is not blank.

=IF(ISBLANK(1st_index_match), 2nd_index_match, 1st_index_match)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try adding in a zero for the third portion of each MATCH function. Leaving it blank will default to an approximate match which tends to miss things.

MATCH([Column Name]@row, {Range}, 0)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Nicole D
    Nicole D ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

That didn't work.

This is what I used.

=IF(ISBLANK(INDEX({Source Sheet - Employee ID}, MATCH([Request ID]@row, {Source Sheet - Request ID}, 0))), INDEX({Source Sheet - Manager ID}, MATCH([Request ID]@row, {Source Sheet - Request ID}, 0)))

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sorry about that. I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted that. There is also the step of outputting the original INDEX/MATCH if the original is not blank.

=IF(ISBLANK(1st_index_match), 2nd_index_match, 1st_index_match)

10xViz.com

• Nicole D
    Nicole D ✭✭✭✭

That worked! Thank you so much!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com

• cgswan
    cgswan ✭✭

This is what I am looking for, however, you have me lost with the "1st", "2nd" index match. However, when I try this formula, I get "incorrect argument".

=IF(ISBLANK(INDEX({Roster Team Member Lennox}, MATCH(Owner@row, {Roster Role}, INDEX({Roster Range 5}, MATCH(Owner@row, {Roster Role}, INDEX({Roster Team Member Lennox}, MATCH(Owner@row, {Roster Role}))))))))

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!