API - Other Client in Activity Log

ker9
ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I see this in the Activity Log - how do I track down where it came from?

Does Smartsheet add this for certain functions like requesting backup or download of activity log?

Answers

• Hi @ker9

This generally relates to other applications using the sheet as a source, such as Dynamic View, DataMesh, etc. The way they connect with the sheet is through the Smartsheet API. It also could be an indicator of Event Reporting tracking activities on this sheet.

Downloading an Activity Log will show up as its own line item:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P. - thank you for the response.

When I download an activity report, that line item shows Action as Sheet Viewed by API-Other Client.

How do I determine what the API is?

This sheet should have no activity by APIs or anything else, it's on hold and a limited number of people have access.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 09/08/23

Hi @ker9

Do you know if your organization uses Event Reporting?

This would not require being shared to the sheet to see data around if a backup was generated, etc. It's a System Admin view to show actions taken within the organization. This would use the API to view information about how your sheet is being used (but not the data stored within it).

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. - I don't think we are using that but I will check with our API people.

There are user names attached to the activity but they don't know anything about APIs. I'm starting to suspect it was a backup request - would that cause this?

• Hey @ker9

If the Event Reporting API is being used, the username associated with the API call would be the person who did the action (e.g. Requesting a Backup, Viewing the sheet). If you have Event Reporting set up to track backups, then yes! Requesting a Backup could definitely cause this. 🙂

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/08/23

@Genevieve P. - I'm told we are not using the Event Reporting API but testing did indicate, in this case, it was related to downloading a backup copy (not requesting it but downloading it).

Testing seems to indicate backup download caused it, but I can't prove it since I don't know how Smartsheet handles that.

Thank you.