Can I link a template on a dashboard widget?

I work in the Transformation Office and one way I use dashboards is for governance. I call it the Transformation Office portal, and it's a place for anyone in the company to find the templates they need to submit a project idea.

The issue I have is that the widgets on that portal (dashboard) open up other items, like other Smartsheets, for example. I want people to use those Smartsheets as templates. They need to remember to click on the widget, then Save As New, save it as their own sheet and start working.

It happens that, in the rush of things, they start working right away on the Smartsheet that opened up and then they just click on Save. The next person that comes, clicks on the link, the Smartsheet that I put there as a template opens and it has information from another project.

I have saved the sheets I created as Templates, thinking that that might force people to save their work on their side and keep the template as a template. Then the next person to click on the widget could get a fresh template. But I can't seem to link templates to the widgets. Is that so or am I doing something wrong? Or is there a better way to do this?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you may have stumbled across something that could use fixing. Unfortunately you aren't missing anything.

Please feel free to browse the Product Ideas topic to see if someone has already submitted this idea. If they have, you can add your vote. If it has not already been submitted, you can submit it yourself.

Either way, please provide a link here to the Idea so that others searching for a similar solution can easily add their votes (and I want to vote on it too).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you may have stumbled across something that could use fixing. Unfortunately you aren't missing anything.

Please feel free to browse the Product Ideas topic to see if someone has already submitted this idea. If they have, you can add your vote. If it has not already been submitted, you can submit it yourself.

Either way, please provide a link here to the Idea so that others searching for a similar solution can easily add their votes (and I want to vote on it too).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com