Can I get 2 auto-number columns?

I have a data set which already has a auto-number system column however I want another auto-number or row number column if possible using some sort of formula. Is this something we can do?

Answers

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

At this time, there is not a second autonumber column option within a single sheet. You may be able to do this using a formula, depending on what your goals are, and how you are wanting that column to be utilized.

Smartsheet Community Champion and Ambassador

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• CaraBart28
    CaraBart28 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Colleen Patterson,

I just submitted this question but also asking what type of formula would be used. We want to simply number each row. We have multiple sheets filtering into a master sheet, each individual sheet has auto number which identifies a site location. However we would like to have a row count for each row in the master sheet. What type of formula would I be looking at?

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CaraBart28

If you are brining in the autonumbers from source sheets into a destination sheet you would be able to use the autonumber in the destination, without impact from the source sheets. You would be able to pull the original autonumber in as a cross-sheet reference.

If you do already have an autonumber in the destination sheet, there is some great information on this other post: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/80822/countif-to-create-sequence-number regarding how to create a formula autonumber from another. Much of this depends on how you are structuring your existing autonumber columns.

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• CaraBart28
    CaraBart28 ✭✭✭✭

@Colleen Patterson I checked out the information in the link you provided. However, it is not working for what I am looking for. I want it to basically number each row. So where it says Master Order Number I want it to just count each row...1, 2, 3, 4...The formula I tried is not working... =COUNTIF([Master Order #]:[Master Order #], <[Master Order #]@row + 1)

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

CaraBart28 You would not be able to run a formula on the same column, and would instead need a helper column to run the count, and then to reflect that in the master order number. So - you would have the formula in Master Order #, and then run the formula on Master Order Helper. This should resolve the circular reference. Apologies for the delay in response. I was out last week with COVID.

• CaraBart28
    CaraBart28 ✭✭✭✭

@Colleen Patterson

Hi Colleen, I am having a hard time picturing this and what the formula in the helper column would look like. Would you be able to assist me in what you thought was for this?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!