PDF Icon / Thumbnail in the row?

Michael Batt
Michael Batt ✭✭✭
edited 09/26/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I'm sure its a big use of smart sheet, I use various registers to store documents especially drawings. Each row is a drawing or document, if there are different Issues I use the upload new version.

There are the Ref#, Issue#, description and drawn date columns etc. The drawing is a pdf attachment.

However you can not scroll and visually look for the drawing like in Macs Finder or Windows File Explorer. I don't really want to crop an image from the attachment and insert it as a picture as it will not auto update based on the attachment?

Anyone got at workarounds? I'm keen to close off access to G Drive where the original pdfs are.

Ideally the thumbnail of the PDF appears in the cell.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Michael Batt

Under the attachment Tab in a sheet you can select All to see all the attachments in the sheet and scroll through them, however you're right, PDFs show a PDF icon versus a thumbnail like a JPEG:

Please submit your feature request of having the PDF image to appear in the Attachment tab to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Michael Batt

Under the attachment Tab in a sheet you can select All to see all the attachments in the sheet and scroll through them, however you're right, PDFs show a PDF icon versus a thumbnail like a JPEG:

Please submit your feature request of having the PDF image to appear in the Attachment tab to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now