Return Text that is in a Data/Number Column that captures dates

Options

In the table below, I have 3 columns that are text/number fields: Final Document, Target Date, Actual Date.

In the Target MM/YYYY and the Actual MM/YYYY, I have a formula to pull the MM/YYYY from the Target date and Actual Date, but as you can see, there is "On Hold" and "Cancelled" text instead of a date in some of the cells. I'm trying to pull the date, otherwise, return the text in the cell . If the cell is empty, I want it to return "Active". Here are the formulas:

Target MM/YYYY:

=IFERROR(IF(MONTH([Target Date]@row) < 10, "0", "") + MONTH([Target Date]@row) + "/" + YEAR([Target Date]@row), "Active")

Actual MM/YYYY:

=IFERROR(IF(MONTH([Actual Date]@row) < 10, "0", "") + MONTH([Actual Date]@row) + "/" + YEAR([Actual Date]@row), "Active")

The three fields that are highlighted in gray are my formula columns.

With the status column, if the cell is empty, it should return "Active", if the cell has text, it should return the text, and if there is a date, it should return Complete.

=IF([Actual Date]@row = "", "Active", IF([Actual Date]@row = "On Hold", "On Hold", IF([Actual Date]@row = "Cancelled", "Cancelled", "Complete")))

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jwilson

My apologies, I added in criteria without testing the original, full formula.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could just use this:

=IF([Target Date]@row = "", "Active", [Target Date]@row + "")

This says, if it's blank return "Active", otherwise bring through the same date (but I added + "" to turn it into text for your Text/Number column).

If you're wanting to keep your specific formatting, I added the IF statement in the wrong place - we'll need to keep in the extra IF to check the month:

=IF([Target Date]@row = "", "Active", IF(ISDATE([Target Date]@row), IF(MONTH([Target Date]@row) < 10, "0", "") + MONTH([Target Date]@row) + "/" + YEAR([Target Date]@row,[Target Date]@row, [Target Date]@row))

and:

=IF([Actual Date]@row = "", "Active", IF(ISDATE([Actual Date]@row), IF(MONTH([Actual Date]@row) < 10, "0", "") + MONTH([Actual Date]@row) + "/" + YEAR([Actual Date]@row), "Active", [Actual Date]@row))

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @jwilson

For your first two formulas, I would add an IF statement to first check if the cell is blank so it can return "Active". Otherwise, it will check if the cell has a Date using ISDATE, and if it is, continue with your current formula. Otherwise if it's not a date, simply return whatever is showing in that cell:

=IF([Target Date]@row = "", "Active", IF(ISDATE([Target Date]@row), MONTH([Target Date]@row) < 10, "0", "") + MONTH([Target Date]@row) + "/" + YEAR([Target Date]@row,[Target Date]@row, [Target Date]@row))

=IF([Actual Date]@row = "", "Active", IF(ISDATE([Actual Date]@row), MONTH([Actual Date]@row) < 10, "0", "") + MONTH([Actual Date]@row) + "/" + YEAR([Actual Date]@row), "Active", [Actual Date]@row))

Your Status formula looks to be working correctly! Do you need any help here?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• jwilson
    jwilson ✭✭✭
    edited 09/29/23
    Options

Thank you for replying, @Genevieve P.

I copied and pasted the formula in each column.

In the Target MM/YYYY column, I am receiving an #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET.

In the Actual MM/YYYY column, I receive a pop-up stating, "The column formula syntax isn't quite right, see our help article." This might be due to the error in the Target MM/YYYY column.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jwilson

My apologies, I added in criteria without testing the original, full formula.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could just use this:

=IF([Target Date]@row = "", "Active", [Target Date]@row + "")

This says, if it's blank return "Active", otherwise bring through the same date (but I added + "" to turn it into text for your Text/Number column).

If you're wanting to keep your specific formatting, I added the IF statement in the wrong place - we'll need to keep in the extra IF to check the month:

=IF([Target Date]@row = "", "Active", IF(ISDATE([Target Date]@row), IF(MONTH([Target Date]@row) < 10, "0", "") + MONTH([Target Date]@row) + "/" + YEAR([Target Date]@row,[Target Date]@row, [Target Date]@row))

and:

=IF([Actual Date]@row = "", "Active", IF(ISDATE([Actual Date]@row), IF(MONTH([Actual Date]@row) < 10, "0", "") + MONTH([Actual Date]@row) + "/" + YEAR([Actual Date]@row), "Active", [Actual Date]@row))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!