FORM DIVISION

Hi Team,

In the attached screenshot, I want the participants to submit their answers for all the parameters (collection, collection comments, labelling, labelling comment, Processing, processing comment) for each of the sample submitted i.e for blood, urine and tissue, separately, keeping the "Form ID" and Date submitted" constant. And I want the data to be populated in a new row, for each of these samples (blood, urine, and Tissue) and I am looking if it is possible to let the participant do this without having them to return back to new form to complete their assessment for each sample. Is there a way to complete the form and hit submit and it reloads automatically keeping Form ID and Date submitted constant?

The reason I am looking for this workaround is for each Form ID, the participants might have to complete assessment for 3-10 samples (blood, urine, tissue and these can be up to 10 and sometimes more than that) and it makes it complex for them to enter the same Form ID and Date Submitted every single time. I believe the same form set up to reload every time when the person submits the form, then is it possible to keep up the "Form ID and Date Submitted" constant (I mean breaking the form with first two fields to constant and submitting the remaining fields as many times as need)? Please suggest me any workflow or ideas that you would be helpful to help me out. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Can someone please help me with my question?

• Eric Law
    Eric Law ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mounika I can, but it is a process. Question for you though, is everything the same for all the items? Like Collection, Collection Comment, etc?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mounika

I hope you're well and safe!

This might help!

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @Eric Law,

Thank you for responding! Yes, for each sample (ie. urine, blood etc), the participant needs to submit information for all the parameters (collection (satisfactory/not satisfactory), Collection comments, same applicable for Labeling and Peocessing as well). Please help me with the process that you are aware off! Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks,

Mounika

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

Thank you for responding. Could you please a provide any video reference to figure out and understand how your solution will work in my case? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Mounika

• Eric Law
    Eric Law ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mounika So, there is a way you can do this, but it will take a bit of work on your part. This is what I've done for a situation similar to this. Luckily, it is scalable.

You will need 3 separate areas, and 2 + x (where x is the number of options) sheets.

1 sheet is the intake sheet. For that sheet, you can either have it the way you have it, with a multi select, OR you can create questions that ask if they are inputting for x thing. In addition, you will need to have a column with each fill in. I would call them out with numbers, like 1. Collection, 1. Collection Comment, ..., 2. Collection, 2. Collection Comment,..., etc, this will make the next part easier if you do that.

Within the intake sheet, you will create an automation to copy the row if the Sample Submitted contains X. For instance, my automation name would be 1. Blood, Condition would be, if Sample Submitted contains Blood, copy row to 1. Blood sheet. And so on for each sample type. Then create an archive sheet to send the row, I would have it trigger every day at 2300 hrs that move the row to the archive sheet.

For each sample sheet, you will only need to set up 1 automation, with 3 parts, for each of these sheets. The first thing to do is to clear the cells of every submission other than that sample collected type's entry. Then to change Sample Submitted cell to whatever sheet it is, for example 1. Blood will change that cell to be Blood and then Move a Row to the final sheet.

On the final sheet, the sample submitted will be correct and you will need to add in columns with the different inputs. You can call it Collection, or 0. Collection, etc. Then you will reorder your other columns so that all the collections are together, and all the collection comments are together, etc.

Finally, you can use a formula =COLLECT to aggregate the information into the 0 columns.

Hope that makes sense.😅

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mounika

Happy to help!

I'd be happy to share an example. 

Please email me at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @Eric Law

Thank you so much for the explanation. But only form will used to capture all the information at once, and then I wanted to split it into rows based on each sample.

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

I have sent you an email and waiting for your response.

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

can you please forward the video to email? I have sent an email and waiting for response.

Thanks!

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

Thank you so much for sharing the "Two Form Solution", it was helpful. But is there any way to link the Parent row (TEST) with child rows (SJ2, SJ3, SJ4)?