How are you documenting your processes and workflows for training/reference?

Options

We have been creating and modifying our marketing intake and implementation workflows for close to two years now, and (despite these being ever-changing) we're ready to officially document these processes for users to reference. I was going to just use Word (and a table of contents) to document, but I'd like to hear from others in the community about how they've documented their processes and workflows and what has (or hasn't) worked well.

Best Answers

• rshoniber
    rshoniber ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

We subscribe to Tango and LOVE IT! Its a plug in on my browser so whenever I want to document the steps for a process, I just click the button and it starts documenting each step as I do the actual work. Then you close out of it and it saves it so you can make edits to it and add verbiage for each step, etc.

Here is an example of what it does:

https://app.tango.us/app/workflow/Smartsheet---Creating-a-Workspace-in-Smartsheet-f2e6161a184145ffa0082112fe008408

• Lauren Dominique
    Lauren Dominique ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for asking this question @Kristen Christman ! The methods I typically use are 1) creating a screen recording complete with a script of me walking someone thru the process; 2) writing out a detailed step-by-step in Word with screenshots; or 3) putting together a diagram/visual to depict specific steps/workflows. Sounds like there are some tools out there that I haven’t been aware of that can automate some of that work for me!

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it 💡 Insightful or ❤️ Awesome!

Answers

• rshoniber
    rshoniber ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

We subscribe to Tango and LOVE IT! Its a plug in on my browser so whenever I want to document the steps for a process, I just click the button and it starts documenting each step as I do the actual work. Then you close out of it and it saves it so you can make edits to it and add verbiage for each step, etc.

Here is an example of what it does:

https://app.tango.us/app/workflow/Smartsheet---Creating-a-Workspace-in-Smartsheet-f2e6161a184145ffa0082112fe008408

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristen,

Currently we are using Smartsheet & Visio to document our Smartsheet Solutions. Something we are discussing after attending Smartsheet Engage23 is utilizing the sheet summary to outline and document the technical specifications of our sheet.

Another option we are looking at is creating a Solution Setup Dashboard. This will contain all the information surrounding the solution. I am attaching an image of one I am currently designing to give you an idea. Depending where we decide to store the Setup Dashboard (in the solution workspace or in our Smartsheet Solutions Workspace will depend on if a link to the workspace is included.

MARLANA KALINOWSKI

Sr. Business Analysts / Smartsheet Solutions

National Pharmacy Services | Genoa Healthcare

• Lauren Dominique
    Lauren Dominique ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for asking this question @Kristen Christman ! The methods I typically use are 1) creating a screen recording complete with a script of me walking someone thru the process; 2) writing out a detailed step-by-step in Word with screenshots; or 3) putting together a diagram/visual to depict specific steps/workflows. Sounds like there are some tools out there that I haven’t been aware of that can automate some of that work for me!

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it 💡 Insightful or ❤️ Awesome!