How to fix #UNPARSEABLE for my nested IF formula

Options
Pablo_G
Pablo_G ✭✭
edited 10/12/23 in Formulas and Functions

Here is my nested IF formula and I don't understand where the issue lies.

I've created a new column called [Initiative Expense] for my formula. My [Initiative Type] column has multiple values for types of expenses and credits, but if the value is one of five expenses (listed in parenthesis in the formula), then I want the cell in my new column to display the value listed in the [Initiative Amount (Expense)], which is on the same row as the [Initiative Type]. It should be simple, but I get an #UNPARSEABLE error. If there is no value (amount) for any of the corresponding five initiative types, then I want the result to be $0. Please help and thank you.

My formula:

=IF(([Initiative Type]7 = "Pass-Through", [Initiative Amount (Expense)]7), IF([Initiative Type]7 = "Marketing Vendor", [Initiative Amount (Expense)]7), IF([Initiative Type]7 = "TDA", [Initiative Amount (Expense)]7), IF([Initiative Type]7 = "TDSCG", [Initiative Amount (Expense)]7), IF([Initiative Type]7 = "Employee Expense", [Initiative Amount (Expense)]7), "$0")

Answers

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Pablo_G

If I understand correctly, the Initiative Type column is a multi-value dropdown (meaning you can select more than one value in the cell) and you want to return the Initiative Amount (Expense) if the value is one of 5 options.

=IF(OR(CONTAINS("Pass-Through", [Initiative Type]@row), CONTAINS("Marketing Vendor", [Initiative Type]@row), CONTAINS("TDA", [Initiative Type]@row), CONTAINS("TDSCG", [Initiative Type]@row), CONTAINS("Employee Expense", [Initiative Type]@row)), [Initiative Amount (Expense)]@row, "$0")

There may be other ways to accomplish this, but see if this works for you.

Hope this helps!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!