Deleting a Column Through Global Update

Hello Community.

I am looking to utilize Global Update in Control Center to delete a column. Global Update has options to add a column or modify a column but not seeing a clear path to delete a column. Has anyone had experience with this or perhaps confirm that it is not possible?

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no way to delete a column using global updates, but you can move it to the far right of the sheet and hide it using global updates.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I haven't seen anything regarding updating a column description anywhere.

I don't have a way of testing this right now, but I wonder if you could add a new column from the template and have the column description carry over that way although that could mess with reporting if your "new" column is replacing an existing one.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no way to delete a column using global updates, but you can move it to the far right of the sheet and hide it using global updates.

10xViz.com

• Mike Ferringer
    Mike Ferringer ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Paul. That solution will work for me. I'll have extra hidden columns in all of my existing provisioned projects but can delete those from the template going forward.

Related to a column delete capability... Do you know if it is possible to add or edit a column description through Global Update? I suspect not but would be good to confirm.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I haven't seen anything regarding updating a column description anywhere.

I don't have a way of testing this right now, but I wonder if you could add a new column from the template and have the column description carry over that way although that could mess with reporting if your "new" column is replacing an existing one.

10xViz.com

• Mike Ferringer
    Mike Ferringer ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the quick reply Paul.

I ended up renaming the existing column and hiding it at the end of the far right of the sheet (your suggestion for an alternate to deleting) and then added a new column with the same column name as before with the desired column description. This required double the number of Global Updates but it worked.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

Glad you were able to get it sorted.

10xViz.com